Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Layer speed switched with second layer speed

Posted by Swooshman46 
First Layer speed switched with second layer speed
July 11, 2015 05:12PM
I'm using 1.2.9 and the slower speed I set for the first layer is instead used only on the second layer. I'm not really sure what's going on here. At first I though the first layer was a crappy interfacing layer, but even with that turned off, I'm still getting a fast, poor quality first layer. It then takes it time on the second layer. Anyone have any ideas?
Re: First Layer speed switched with second layer speed
July 13, 2015 08:35PM
So I think I figured out whats going on. When laying horizontal shells, it lays a fast loose layer then slow tight layers. Always in that order. That would make sense for top layers as the loose layer would be on the infill and covered by the outer layers. However, that loose layer on the bottom is is visible outside the model and the tighter better quality layers are on the inside of the model. I'm attaching pics for an example. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I'll try to look into the code to see if I can reverse this or add the option to reverse this, however, it's been a few years since I've messed around with any real code and never on anything this size. plus I have to learn perl.
Attachments:
open | download - raft.JPG (128.5 KB)
open | download - bottom shell.JPG (209.6 KB)
open | download - bottom inner shell.JPG (190.4 KB)
open | download - top inner shell.JPG (106.4 KB)
open | download - top shell.JPG (109.9 KB)
Re: First Layer speed switched with second layer speed
July 14, 2015 07:10AM
The bottom shell is printed with solid infill first, and I suspect that the "fast loose layer" is part of the raft. I would suggest printing that part without a raft - maybe add a brim if the smaller parts are not adhering, or print the smaller parts separately.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login