Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Com Port Issue

Posted by Flyer2 
Com Port Issue
December 06, 2012 09:41PM
Hi
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.
When I first installed Repetier I was using com 7. I don't remember when or why but after an update to a newer version com 7 disappeared and I had to start using com 8. I had sporadic issues but it seemed to work ok. Now I'm constantly encountering problems and having to close the program.
When I go into arduino to select a com I have 2 that show up- com 3 and com 8. Shouldn't I be able to just select 3, upload it, change my printer settings to com 3 and go? I tried that and had no success. If not, can I uninstall com 8 and get it back onto 7 somehow?
Thanks,
Rick
Re: Com Port Issue
December 07, 2012 04:11AM
Hi Flyer!
I think the changed COM Port numbering has nothing to do with Repetier Host.
I assume you're using an usb-ttl converter to connect to your GEN7?
By connecting one of those to an usb port the driver creates a "virtual com port" for you. Don't ask me in detail how windows handles the numbering of it's com ports but the numbers might change (f.ex. if you connect it to another usb port , or the port is allready in use ...)

As far is I can see you've also missunderstood the "COM Port Option" in Arduino IDE. The option tells the arduino ide on which com port your USB-TTL Converter is "connected" respectivley which one to use to upload the firmware. It has nothing todo with which COM Port your Converter shows up in Repetier Host or windows.

You can easily change the naming of the virtual com port through your windows "hardware manager" (see screenshots)

I'm quite sure the changed COM Port is not related to your problems
Attachments:
open | download - change-com.PNG (104.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login