Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Initial Setup Issues

Posted by uMinded 
Initial Setup Issues
January 06, 2013 10:25PM
I just built a new RepRap out of 80/20 and was trying to set it up all night without any lock. Everything is skipping and nothing is working right.

Problem #1) I have the latest version of Repetier firmware on my Mega 2560 and the Repetier Host for linux working. I can open a serial terminal to the arduino at /dev/ttyUSB0 @ 256000 8-N-1 as a normal user. I have the host set up to use that tty but when I connect nothing I push in the interface effects the actual hardware.

Problem #2) I have an "Accessible Wades Extruder" Ramps v1.4, and 3mm filament and when I command my extruder to move 1mm (via my LCD) the motor just jumps all over the place. I have steps/mm: 430, Feedrate: 10, Accel: 10. What would be a good default setting for this extruder?

Problem #3) Not really a problem but what level of microstepping do you guys use on all of your drivers? My X/Y are T5 belt driven and my Z is on 1/4-20 rod with two motors.

Thanks!
Re: Initial Setup Issues
January 07, 2013 03:17AM
The linux support for non-ansi baudrates is very difficult. Perhaps for that reason mono does not support those baudrates, which includes the Repetier-Host for linux. You should use baudrates like 115200 or 230400 instead. Remember to change EEPROM_MODE to really change the baudrate!

2) My wade has Accel 8000, max Feddrate 25mm/s. If you use the UI check what feedrate you set for control over ui and make sure nothing blocks e.g. if you have filament make sur eit is hot. But perhaps you check first the wiring is ok running it without filament. If it stutter you may have a lose contact and be running on one coil only.

3) 1/16th microstepping for xye z is not so important. Make it 200-1000 Steps/mm and it should suffice your precision needs.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
January 07, 2013 05:54AM
I changed my extruder to 1/2 stepping to dampen any oscillations I might of had, Feedrate: 20, Max Feedrate: 60, Acc: 8000 and I am running the extruder without filament.

The motor now turns when commanded but theirs a lot of interference and 1/20 steps it goes the wrong way. I hooked that motor to the X axis and I can move it no problem. I swapped drivers and its fine on everything except the E0 driver. Maybe I have a rouge digit in my firmware...
January 07, 2013 05:58AM
1/2 Stepping for an extruder is probably not good. I have 1/8 with around 400 Steps/mm. You want a good resolution with 300-800 steps/mm for the extruder to have a good control. Especially with 3mm filament. So with 1/2 Stepping 400 Steps/mm is too much I guess making your speed 4x faster then you think. Also not that there are 2 Speeds for extruder start and max speed. In 0.74 they also have differen units (0.80 has both in mm/s).

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
January 07, 2013 04:08PM
At full stepping I have 430 steps/mm and at 1/2 microstepping it is 860/mm.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware (0.71) off the website as I was using one from my other drives and it might of had a botched configuration or something strange going on. I went through and put in my calculated steps/mm on my axis and will try it out when I get home tonight.

Does anybody know a good method on how to set the current limit on the pololu drivers on the Ramps 1.4 shield? I usual just turn it while running until its running smooth and quietly but that seems a bit of a shot in the dark.
January 08, 2013 06:00AM
Well I found a bug in the firmware but I still have not solved my problems. SEE HERE FOR BUG REPORT

I uploaded v0.71 and now not much of anything works... My LCD works well and in the host software I can issue M115 and M205 and get responses. I can even set echo and dry run and watch them changed under the LCD menus but I can not make any driver step and none of the mosfets turn on! Its almost like somehow the pin inits where bypassed...

What I edited:
(Configuration.h)
#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#define BAUDRATE 250000
#define EEPROM_MODE 1

(Pins.h)
#define RAMPS_V_1_3

(uiconfig.h)
#define UI_LANGUAGE 0
#define UI_DISPLAY_TYPE 1
#define UI_COLS 20
#define UI_ROWS 4
#define UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN 32
#define UI_DISPLAY_RW_PIN 16
#define UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN 47
#define UI_DISPLAY_D0_PIN 45
#define UI_DISPLAY_D1_PIN 43
#define UI_DISPLAY_D2_PIN 41
#define UI_DISPLAY_D3_PIN 39
#define UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN 45
#define UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN 43
#define UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN 41
#define UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN 39
#define UI_HAS_KEYS 1
#define UI_HAS_I2C_ENCODER 0
UI_KEYS_INIT_CLICKENCODER_LOW(37,35);
UI_KEYS_INIT_BUTTON_LOW(31);
UI_KEYS_CLICKENCODER_LOW_REV(37,35);
UI_KEYS_BUTTON_LOW(31,UI_ACTION_OK);

Any idea why on earth my pins would not be working??
January 08, 2013 06:21AM
uMinded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I found a bug in the firmware but I still
> have not solved my problems. SEE HERE FOR BUG
> REPORT
>
Not a bug, wrong setting for your case, see comment. RW needs to be -1 if you haven't connected that display pin.

> I uploaded v0.71 and now not much of anything
> works... My LCD works well and in the host
> software I can issue M115 and M205 and get
> responses. I can even set echo and dry run and
> watch them changed under the LCD menus

> but I can
> not make any driver step and none of the mosfets
> turn on! Its almost like somehow the pin inits
> where bypassed...
>

The above posts sounded like stepper driver worked?

The Extruder mosfets use a different 12v source as the stepper. Make sure you have 12V on them as well! Leds beside the mosfets show if output is on but they also only work with 12v for mosfets attached.

January 08, 2013 10:57PM
So I solved all of my issues. Some wrong firmware settings, I had a few wrong settings and a broken wire half way to one of my motor phases so it was giving me random errors based off what bumped what.

I have a question though, If I command an axis to move say X10.00 and do that 5 times the axis moved 20mm then starts to pulse more and more rapidly until it stops at 50mm. Its accurate but the pulsating is kind of weird. Do I have some sort of look ahead setting set wrong?
January 09, 2013 03:02AM
uMinded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I solved all of my issues. Some wrong firmware
> settings, I had a few wrong settings and a broken
> wire half way to one of my motor phases so it was
> giving me random errors based off what bumped
> what.
>

My congratulations!

> I have a question though, If I command an axis to
> move say X10.00 and do that 5 times the axis moved
> 20mm then starts to pulse more and more rapidly
> until it stops at 50mm. Its accurate but the
> pulsating is kind of weird. Do I have some sort of
> look ahead setting set wrong?

There is no lookahead. I think it is a microstepping issue. The motor is most stable in full step positions. If there is some load or motor current is not good it may pule a bit in between positions. I have a similar effect that the stopped motors have a different sound depending on microstepping position. You might even need to reduce the current. If current gets to high the motors also start to do strange things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login