Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with X11 over ssh

Posted by koehn 
Problem with X11 over ssh
January 25, 2013 01:27AM
I have my printer attached to a linux machine in the basement and would like to run RepetierHost over ssh. I'm connecting from a Mac running XQuartz 2.7.4 (x-org server 1.13.0).

I can bring up the base UI by first connecting to the linux box via `ssh -Y` to allow GLX and all the other X11 extensions to pass through. I can see the box representing the printable area of my printer with the grid on the bottom side. I can rotate the box, zoom, etc.

If I try to load a model, the model isn't drawn in the box (even if I center object or drop object). I can run the slicer, but the sliced model isn't displayed either. On the console of the ssh connection, I get a lot of this:

X11 Error encountered: 
  Error: GLXBadRenderRequest
  Request:     149 (1)
  Resource ID: 0x99
  Serial:      8956
  Hwnd:        
  Control:        at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.HandleError(IntPtr display, XErrorEvent ByRef error_event)
   at System.Drawing.GDIPlus.GdipCreateFromXDrawable_linux(IntPtr , IntPtr , IntPtr ByRef )
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromXDrawable(IntPtr drawable, IntPtr display)
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromHwnd(IntPtr hwnd)
   at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.PaintEventStart(Message ByRef msg, IntPtr handle, Boolean client)
   at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.PaintEventStart(Message ByRef msg, IntPtr handle, Boolean client)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message ByRef m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message ByRef m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message ByRef m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message ByRef m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip.WndProc(Message ByRef m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage(Message ByRef m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message ByRef m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc(IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.DispatchMessage(MSG ByRef msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.DispatchMessage(MSG ByRef msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunLoop(Boolean Modal, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm)
   at RepetierHost.Program.Main()

I'm not sure what the underlying problem is, but thought I'd see if anybody else had encountered the same thing.

As a follow-up question, can I fool Repetier Host running on my mac into connecting to the printer attached to the linux box in the basement? I'm not aware of USB "port forwarding" but it would be handy.

Thanks for the great product!
Re: Problem with X11 over ssh
January 25, 2013 06:51AM
Give pronterface a try, it's worked for me in the past, I think the nice opengl things repetier host is supposed to do aren't playing nicely with x11 forwarding. VNC would also work, and might be a better option in some ways - the print won't be affected if the connection drops.
Re: Problem with X11 over ssh
January 25, 2013 11:07AM
The problem is OpenGL over ssh tunnel I think. But I don't think this would be the best solution. For such cases I'm developing a new solution. See

[www.repetier.com]

The new Host version will get an interface to that server, so that you can run the host on your mac and send the job to the server which prints the data. The scripts already provided should work on normal ubuntu/debian installations. For fedora you would need to modify the start script or start by hand.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login