Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X/Y/E Motors Do Not Turn. Help?

Posted by yaueh 
X/Y/E Motors Do Not Turn. Help?
July 09, 2013 11:25PM
Reposting in this forum to see if I can get any feedback

I am new to 3d printing and have been trying manage to setup my own diy 3d printer. I know enough to get by and mostly understand what's going on.
My set up is completely diy and machined but I can assure it should run smoothly. For now I just want to get a simple setup up and running with no endstops or heated bed. I ordered a Sanguish board from a member on here bryanandaimee he has helped plenty but we can't seem to figure out whats wrong.

Here are my problems:
1. Extruder does not turn at all either trying to run a dry print or manually pressing the button on repetier host (It was previously working when I was adjusting and testing motor I think after I changed the code to my preferences it stopped so I tried reuploading the original and still the same)
2. My X and Y axis do not turn at all when trying to run a dry test but do turn manually pressing button (Z axis does turn every layer)
3. Homing does not seem to work as well for any axis

Again my setup is a Sanguish board with an ATMEGA 1284p running repetier firmware my table build volume is 6inches cubed all 3 leadscrew m6 rods 1.8 degree 200 step motors
And yes I have checked connectors and all basic troubleshooting :b

Remember I am new at this so keep that in mind but doesn't mean I'll give up or won't try!
Re: X/Y/E Motors Do Not Turn. Help?
July 10, 2013 03:18AM
First check if M119 gives you an empty response. Having no endstops mean you have to configure it without hard or software andstop activated or you might hit internal signals stopping your move.
Homing without endstops is dangerous and will always crash your extruder into the endstop side. Do not do it without!
Extruder will not work in dry run and without thermistors. Check your log when you reset the board. The firmware will write out if it detected not working thermistors and did go into dry run. Perhaps you have enabled heated bed without having one.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
July 11, 2013 03:29PM
Thanks I appreciate the response
Now the last thing I need to figure out is why my X/Y are not turning during a print.
Note they do turn manually and I have tried changing the feedrates but still nothing.
Any idea why this happens?
July 11, 2013 04:26PM
The manual control tab sends move in relative mode while the print uses normally absolute coordinates. Normally that should not make a difference. But you have no endstops, so you need to define the reference coordinate system. Did you reset the origin with
G92 X0 Y0 Z0
@isathome

The first is for the firmware the second for the host to know it is at origin. Does that help?

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
July 11, 2013 08:58PM
Nope all that happened is now my extruder is not turning correctly it just turns backwards then forward into the same position it began at.
July 12, 2013 05:58AM
These commands have no influence on the extruder, only on the position. If it has an influence I do not know why. I'm currently out of ideas what is wrong with your setup. Hopefully someone else has some smart ideas.

July 12, 2013 06:17AM
@yaueh

Could you post your latest Configuration.h + pins.h files and an image of your 3D printer.
July 14, 2013 03:12PM
Here you go.. Let me know if theres anything else I can do to help please.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (47.4 KB)
open | download - pins.h (43 KB)
open | download - 2013-07-14_11.29.14.jpg (170.9 KB)
July 15, 2013 05:57AM
Your setup is quite unique.

1. You are building a Printer never tested before.
2. Your Motherboard is a Beta Version.
3. You don't use endstops.

What I would do:

1. Add 3 endstops for the Home Position, this will help simplify the start up.
2. Try to get a proven Motherboard (e.g. RAMPS 1.4), at least for the beginning.

Anyway I've uploaded a file (Cube0.gcode) I've modified. Try it, maybe it works.

1. Load Cube0.gcode.
2. Reset to the Origin: G92 X0 Y0 Z0 and @isathome
3. Set Dry Run
4. Click Run

Edit:
You are using threaded rods M6 for all 3 axes.
You should therefore change these settings:

Overridden if EEPROM activated. */
    #define XAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 3200
    /** \brief Number of steps for a 1mm move in y direction.
    For xy gantry use 2*belt moved!
    Overridden if EEPROM activated.*/
    #define YAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 3200
    /** \brief Number of steps for a 1mm move in z direction  Overridden if EEPROM activated.*/
    #define ZAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 3200

You will have to reduce the MAX, HOMING FEEDRATE and ACCELARATION for the x and y axex.

remember to change EEPROM_MODE!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 11:32AM by flurin.
Attachments:
open | download - Cube0.gcode (99.8 KB)
July 16, 2013 06:32PM
The cube you have uploaded works and everything seems to run correctly
So is the issue not having endstops? If they are a necessity and will fix this problem I will look into getting some.
The whole reason for this was because I was trying to keep cost to a minimal to only necessities since I'm 18 with no job :b

update: now it starts off fine but after a bit of time into it the x and y just stops and the z just keeps going up in steps by itself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 07:58PM by yaueh.
July 17, 2013 03:08AM
You can run without endstops if you disable all hardware and software endstops. Then you need to manually home and do a

G92 X0 Y0 Z0
@isathome

in the host.

July 17, 2013 05:16AM
Hi Repetier

I've a question:

repetier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...
> Homing without endstops is dangerous and will
> always crash your extruder into the endstop side.
> Do not do it without!
>...

home_axis() in commands.cpp (v0.83) checks e.g. for the z-axis MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z, so if MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z is false, there is no move.
Is there anything else that moves the axis?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 05:24AM by flurin.
July 17, 2013 09:11AM
@flurin You know my cod better then me:-) In deed homing is nop operation if you have no hardware end stop defined. Forgot about that safety test included.

July 17, 2013 09:23AM
@Repetier
That's because your code is well done, especially the new version 0.90. I hope you will release the new version soon.
July 17, 2013 09:37AM
I hope that I can release it soon, too. But first I want to fix some small problems (most also present in 0.83), refactor some more to make naming conventions everywhere the same and add Xcode support and perhaps even the due support John is currently writing. But I'm currently very busy, so I have not as much time as I want to play and test the firmware. But I'm running that version already on two printer, so nothing prevents you from using it.

July 17, 2013 09:56AM
@Repetier. Don't worry, I'm actually using 0.90alpha.
I've also added more code in addition to ReprapWorld Keypad and Xcode, but I'll wait with the next "pull request".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 09:56AM by flurin.
July 17, 2013 10:06AM
Ah yes your pull request. I didn't pull it, because all files were changed. I guess other formatting of sources, but I like to see the changes and that was too much for a quicky. Did you change anything except the case FEATURE_CONTROLLER 6 ?

July 17, 2013 10:31AM
No, the pull request regards only FEATURE_CONTROLLER 6 (Configurations.h and ui.h). You can ignore the first commit. I don't know why github has marked the files in the first commit, there are no changes! I got them marked on my local clone as I switched the branch from master to development.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 10:33AM by flurin.
July 17, 2013 11:17AM
@yaueh
Sorry for the intermezzo with Repetier. Ignore it!

1. Did you change Configuration.h? Please post your settings or upload the actual Configuration.h if you change the settings.

2. As Repetier said you can run your printer without endstops. But I use min-endstops, so with endstops it will be easier to help you. And this will also be easier for you to use your printer without having to enter commands in Repetier-Host every time you start a job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 11:47AM by flurin.
July 18, 2013 12:22AM
I have been setting the settings trying to adjust them in the host but here is the current config.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (47.3 KB)
July 18, 2013 05:07AM
Check the following settings. I don't think that threaded rods with a NEMA 17 stepper motor can manage this feedrate/accelaration.
Or are you using other stepper motors? gear ratio?

Why are the settings for the axes different? On your picture the axes x,y,z seems to be all the same.

Your actual Configuration.h:

/** Drive settings for printers with cartesian drive systems */
    /** \brief Number of steps for a 1mm move in x direction. 
    Overridden if EEPROM activated. */
    /** \brief Number of steps for a 1mm move in y direction.
    Overridden if EEPROM activated.*/
    #define YAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 3200
    /** \brief Number of steps for a 1mm move in z direction  Overridden if EEPROM activated.*/
    #define ZAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 3200

// ##########################################################################################
// ##                           Movement settings                                          ##
// ##########################################################################################

/** Maximum feedrate, the system allows. Higher feedrates are reduced to these values.
    The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z
     Overridden if EEPROM activated.
    */
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_X 200 // ? see Repetier comment: 40000 / 3200 = 12.5
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_Y 200 // ? dito
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_Z 5

/** Speed in mm/min for finding the home position.  Overridden if EEPROM activated. */
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_X 80 // ? dito
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_Y 80 // ? dito
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_Z 3

//// Acceleration settings

/** \brief X, Y, Z max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves or retracts. 
Make sure your printer can go that high! 
 Overridden if EEPROM activated.
*/
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 1500 //?
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 1500 //?
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 100

/** \brief X, Y, Z max acceleration in mm/s^2 for travel moves.  Overridden if EEPROM activated.*/
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 3000 //?
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 3000 //?
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 100

Note: after uploading to the motherboard, check the new settings (Repetier-Host>Printer>EEPROM Settings).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 07:00AM by flurin.
July 18, 2013 05:40AM

Really? With that you can only run 10-12mm/s. Normal printer range between 40-100 steps per mm for x/y. Only z is higher if you use lead screws, but even then more like 2580.

Make sure Steps per mm * Speed in mm/s <40000

July 18, 2013 05:50AM
As I said the set up is unique! check the picture above. Yaueh is using M6 threaded rods for x and y!

M6 > Steps per mm: 200 * 16 / 1 = 3200
(assuming gear ratio 1:1)

2580? for M8 it's actually 2560 (200 * 16 /1.25).
July 18, 2013 05:54AM
Off course 2560, typo.

Well, with threaded rods he should limit speed to 12 mm/s not 200. I hope there are no other numerical problems with that resolution, but z axis works with it so x and y should work the same.

July 18, 2013 06:50AM
repetier Wrote:
> Well, with threaded rods he should limit speed to
> 12 mm/s not 200.

Probably but I don't know the stepper motor specification, so I think yaueh should unterstand the context and set the speed and accelaration properly.
July 18, 2013 08:52AM
Well, the context is quite simple. An Arduino can handle a maximum stepper frequency of 40000, perhaps a bit more. But then you have already bound most of the cpu power for stepper management. Even if the motors could run faster, the Arduino can't. Thats why I limited speed to 12 mm/s for 3200 steps per second.

July 18, 2013 10:33AM
Ok, that's the Arduino limit, I know that limit and I added your comment in the post above. But let see the stepper motor specification. Maybe the motor has another gear ratio than we assumed (1:1).

Let say gear ratio = 10:1 => stepper per mm = 320 => max speed = 40000 / 320 = 125 mm/s

Edit:

repetier Wrote:
> Well, the context is quite simple. An Arduino can
> handle a maximum stepper frequency of 40000,
> perhaps a bit more. But then you have already
> bound most of the cpu power for stepper
> management.

Proposal for the next version:

Report to the host the value XAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM * MAX_FEEDRATE_X if the value is > (40000 * margin) ; margin=50% - 70% ???
This for all 3 axes.

In my Configuration.h I've 78.7402 * 200 = 15748 for x/y and 2560 * 5 = 12800 for z. Also a margin of 39% for x/y and 32%for z.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 11:35AM by flurin.
July 19, 2013 12:33PM
Maybe I can add a bit of clarification. The motors are standard 1.8 degree steppers and the screws are 1mm per turn or 1 thread per mm. So he must have decided to use X16 microstepping on the Sanguish board. I have been doing my best to help him via email as I am the designer of the board and sold it to him. We did quite a bit of other troubleshooting before I got stuck and had him post here. Thanks for all your help.

Given the max step pulse frequency, and the fact that the Sanguinololu board requires an additional step pulse delay to make the drivers happy, I would probably advise that the microstepping be turned down to X8 or X2. This would give 1600 or 400 steps per mm respectively and allow a little more time for comms etc. in firmware.
July 19, 2013 02:48PM
removed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2013 05:10AM by flurin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login