Posted by maxoutny 
Windows 8.1 RepRap drivers!
November 24, 2013 01:28PM
Is it possible to create drivers for Windows 8.1 and use Microsoft
software for RepRap printers.
Will contribute if some one can do it.
Re: Windows 8.1 RepRap drivers!
November 25, 2013 04:04AM
The drivers should be included, but every device type requires a special inf file with reported vendor etc. Windows 8.1 wants this inf file signed, or you have a really complicated way to install them.

If you have a board with FTDI driver, you use the latest FTDI driver which I think is signed.
New Arduino IDEs come with signed inf files, so it should be possible to install them if you have a original Arduino MEGA, also I did not test (have no Win 8.1)
Some boards have their own version burned into the 16U2 device used for serial communication and no signed driver. For most of them it is possible to burn the original driver code on the chip, if you have a ISP.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
November 25, 2013 02:54PM
But after I install, Arduino drivers Windows not will use it as known 3D Printer device.
And MS 3D Printing software will not work?
November 25, 2013 03:32PM
That is correct. The drivers are to get the serial communication working. That has nothing to do with the windows 3d printer driver invented in Windows 8.1. I guess it will take quite some time until drivers for the reprap printer bevome abailable for that system. untel then you have to use the same software as for all other windows versions.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
November 25, 2013 03:37PM
I guess, Makerbot Still one step ahead RepRap comunnity.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
December 11, 2013 12:30PM
As I under stand it there needs to be a Driver created specifically for each printer. Also the driver receives the Image in a Non STL form, and the driver has to slice the image. This creates some issues as you can imagine. There probably will not be a Driver for industry standard printers or any CNC systems using GCode for a while if ever. Microsoft states there will be a Generic driver, but dos not mention its generic to there printer protocol. Sorry, bin asking lots of questions on the www.microsoft.com/3D sight
December 11, 2013 12:46PM
Microsoft added a new way to send 3d data to printer. That is what all this driver stuff is about. So if you are in a new app that supports 3d printers it can have 3d print button like for normal print and then you can select the printer. This only works with Windows 8.1. All other versions need to use the old way to save 3d file as stl/obj and import it in Repetier-Host. And the same also works in Windows 8.1 as long as there is no driver for it. Store stl, load it into the host and slice it there.

So to make it simple to understand - Microsoft created a generic protocol to send 3d data to a software that can print it in 3d. This can be as invisible as a paper printer, where the result gets simply spooled or it could open a Host software and send data there for the user to continue the process.

December 11, 2013 01:04PM
Thank you, Just started testing windows 8.1 with my 3d printers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login