Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier Firmware: Dual Y Steppers

Posted by fraguada 
Repetier Firmware: Dual Y Steppers
December 11, 2013 03:49AM
Hello! While not a question about Repetier Host (which is working great for me), I hope that you might be able to help me with a Firmware question, or at least guide me to how I could start to modify things.

I have a setup which is not utilizing the extruder drivers. I have 4 steppers, with a Dual Y configuration. Before, I have driven the Y steppers together from one driver. I have now switched to a RUMBA board with Repetier Firmware. While I can still drive the Y steppers, I think that the driver is not providing enough current. The power supply I have is 24v, 150W. I can move everything just fine at Feedrates between F1000 and F2000. If I try to go higher than this, the second Y stepper makes some strange noises. I was wondering how I could make use of the extra extruder driver I have to drive the second stepper, and, if that would actually be beneficial to my situation. I know that Dual Z is supported in the RUMBA through Repetier Firmware, I was wondering how I would go about modding the firmware to get Dual Y Stepper Drivers?

I only mention this because previously I was using the R2C2 motion controller and was able to drive the Y steppers (together on one driver) quite rapidly. That being said, I was using a 24v 220W PSU (not compatible with the RUMBA power supply inputs).

So, should I:
  • Get a higher power PSU?
  • Modify the Repetier Firmware to support Dual Y stepper drivers?
  • Both?

I am not driving any heated bed or any other peripheral at the moment, just the steppers.
Thx!
p.s. the Steppers are Nema 17, 2.8v, 1.68A / phase

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 04:02AM by fraguada.
Re: Repetier Firmware: Dual Y Steppers
December 11, 2013 06:24AM
Not sure about 0.83 but in the development branch you have this:
/**************** duplicate motor driver ***************

If you have an unused extruder stepper free, you could use it to drive the second z motor
instead of driving both with a single stepper. The same works for the other axis if needed.
*/

#define FEATURE_TWO_XSTEPPER false
#define X2_STEP_PIN   E1_STEP_PIN
#define X2_DIR_PIN    E1_DIR_PIN
#define X2_ENABLE_PIN E1_ENABLE_PIN

#define FEATURE_TWO_YSTEPPER false
#define Y2_STEP_PIN   E1_STEP_PIN
#define Y2_DIR_PIN    E1_DIR_PIN
#define Y2_ENABLE_PIN E1_ENABLE_PIN

#define FEATURE_TWO_ZSTEPPER false
#define Z2_STEP_PIN   E1_STEP_PIN
#define Z2_DIR_PIN    E1_DIR_PIN
#define Z2_ENABLE_PIN E1_ENABLE_PIN

So no modding required, simply activate the feature:-)

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
December 11, 2013 06:30AM
!!! I did indeed get 0.83 and did not see such code. I will check out the development branch...exactly what I was after!
Thanks a lot...will report back after testing.
December 12, 2013 10:28AM
Wanted to report that the Development Branch of the Repetier Firmware (0.9) is compiling and working ok. I was able to activate dual Y stepper drivers easily, and I manually flipped the Y2 stepper cabling in order for the two steppers to travel in the 'same' direction. (Maybe add in individual stepper direction inverting in the firmware?)

A word of caution to others trying it out, the dev branch defaults to a delta printer format, so be sure to go through the config. Also, I needed to flip some of the directions (z axis) whereas in 0.83 this was ok.

It does not mean I can necessarily move faster, but operation on the Y axis does seem pretty smooth with two steppers.

I guess for faster stepper movement, I should upgrade my PSU to something over 150W?

Also, the connection to Repetier Host does not seem as stable. Yesterday, when connecting, I would get just 'start.' If I tried to connect a second time, it would connect. Today, I do not get such issues, but there is definitely a slight difference in it's behavior. Thus far, this difference has not caused any issues with the printing.

Thanks for the great firmware and control software!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login