Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extending Host with Plugins

Posted by fraguada 
Extending Host with Plugins
March 19, 2014 04:24PM
I was pretty excited to see that Repetier is moving towards some plugin architecture. I am wondering how much will be exposed, for example, lets say I want to add 3D modelling capabilities (very basic to start with) to make basic letters. Is there a path that exists to add geometry to the preview window? This is just to prepare myself for trying out some plugins. If this is not exposed yet, will it be possible in the future?

Thanks for keeping Repetier awesome.
Re: Extending Host with Plugins
March 20, 2014 04:57AM
I guess you have already found the plugin documentation http://rhplugins.repetier.com/ ?

To answer your question - no there is real interface to that panel. I'm also quite confident that I need to change that part quite a bit to allow assigning extruders to parts. Those tabs are also mostly closed except for special extensions. But is sounds like a nice idea to have that a bit more extendable for the future. So when I rewrite that part I will see that it will become a bit more extendable. At least it should allow access to the loaded models so you can modify/add/delete them. Will see what is possible, but the design was not for a modeler. What I mean is you can select objects but not vertices or faces like you do in most modelers.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
March 20, 2014 08:12PM
I think Plugis and an open architecture are a great move! Thanks.

Feature suggestion:
  • Show the filament in its declared color, when the file is AMF or OBJ
  • Allow setting the color assigned to each extruder, to show the part in that color
  • Allow importing AMF, OBJ, PLY

Paucus
April 13, 2014 05:35AM
Thanks for the reply. I've created one useful plugin for my purposes (Valve On / Off buttons) so it is already becoming very interesting. Most of my plugin ideas deal with some basic modelling capabilities, like 3D fonts. I have some basic code for OpenGL that I have been working with, and I am now just learning to use OpenTK. I can see a few options:
  • Create a new modelling window in the main area, and a sidebar panel with gives access to switching fonts, changing size, etc. Once the model is created, there should be some way to automatically stream it to the 3D View.
  • have a special sidebar only that works directly with the 3D View and streams the models directly to the view.

Is this too intense to be possible? I am just trying to reduce the software footprint for making basic letters (which is something I am doing a lot).
April 13, 2014 06:54AM
@fraguada In the current version I think it is not possible. I'm currently working on an improved object model that modes a scene with groups which contain meshes for each extruder. That scene will be available in the next release and it also has an event SceneChanged so everyone gets updated on modifications and can repaint or what else you want. Since the models are meshes you could of course modify these meshes or ad new meshes if necessary.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login