Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Host] + [Server] via TCP Connection?

Posted by fraguada 
[Host] + [Server] via TCP Connection?
August 18, 2014 03:45AM
Hello @repetier,
I had some time this weekend to install and configure Repetier-Server and downloaded and installed the Repetier-Host 1.02 windows version. After a small update in the small plugin I write for some extra controls (2 new interface methods to implement, nothing major) I was up and running with the new Repetier-Host version.

Repetier-Server was a nice experience as I am not too well versed in Linux, but was looking for something useful to do with my Raspberry Pi. I started from scratch with Raspbian, and got Repetier-Server compiled and running according to the install instructions. I was able to successfully send commands and gcode via the browser...awesome!

I am wondering if Repetier-Server on the Pi can act as a facilitator for the newly implemented Repetier-Host TCP connection? Currently, Repetier-Server is on port 8080 as in the default configuration. But I am assuming that does not mean that my printer will magically be seen on port 8080 at the set IP address (well I assumed and it did not work). Is there any facility in Repetier-Server to set up printers to be seen from the Repetier-Host? I apologize if I have overlooked anything that would be an obvious answer to my question.

Thanks!
Re: [Host] + [Server] via TCP Connection?
August 18, 2014 06:14AM
Currently it is not possible, but in near future there will be the option to add a socket listener in the server for a printer. Then a connection over socket would work. So for now you would need to use the socat solution for direct connection.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Re: [Host] + [Server] via TCP Connection?
August 19, 2014 03:31AM
Well, It is damn easy to connect in both ways! Repetier-Server via the Browser, or Repetier-Host via TCP connection and utilizing socat (adding here in case others are wondering):
first install socat:

sudo apt-get install socat

then activate it:

sudo socat TCP-LISTEN:5577,reuseaddr file:/dev/ttyACM0,raw,echo=0

From Repetier-Host create a new printer with a TCP/IP connection:

yourip:5577

Connect!

You can switch back and forth by disconnecting from the printer in Repetier-Host, and activating the printer in Repetier-Server, or deactiving the printer in Repetier-Server, and connecting in Repetier-Host. Awesome!

I am still testing these out, so I can't say that everything is 100%, but it is nice to find alternative ways to connect. One thing that would be nice on the Repetier-Host side is that it could take Zeroconf hostnames as well as ips...for example, if I have the Raspberry Pi hostname as PrinterServer.local. Currently there seems to be an unhandled exception if one enters anything other than an IP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 03:37AM by fraguada.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login