Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bipod question

Posted by craigbossard 
bipod question
February 12, 2015 11:49AM
Hello,

I am building a 3d printer that is a hybrid cartesian and delta machine. I saw the bipod configuration for repetier and it is almost what I need. The notes say that bipod is not supported, what is missing? I'm trying to figure out the code, but I am just a beginner.

The main idea of my project is to utilize what I have available most effectively. I can pick up old scanners for a couple bucks at the local university surplus. Each scanner has a linear guide, stepper drive, and optical endstop. I thought about building a cartesian printer, but I would have to build a lot of parts for it. If I went with a delta, I don't have enough rail length, and again, tons of fab to do. So, I came up with a configuration that offers me the best of both worlds. I put two scanner beds so that the rails are on the inside facing each other. Since I only am getting XY motion from the two bed, I can use tall hinges for rigidity, and still have a very light stage, since the motors are pretty small. Since I use a cartesian Z, I get all the delta benefits but I'm not bound up by the short linear rails from the scanners. If anyone has any interest in this project, I will make drawings and tell you whatever you want. I am looking for collaboration if there is interest.

My biggest problem is I am not a code person. I think I could use repetier with delta settings if I use a simple rotation matrix and a transformation vector to move the origin. The look ahead wouldn't work right I think, because it skips Z and all my motion would be Z. I'm hoping the bipod config will get me there with some work. If we get the config right, I think we could make a how-to that would get total cost well under $100.

Thanks,
Craig Bossard
Re: bipod question
February 13, 2015 03:10AM
Repetier has a quite universal nonlinear drive module. There are two things each different drive system needs:
1. A xyz -> motor coordinate system transformation
2. Homing procedure

Both are only for delta working. So for playing with unsupported types you need to modify/create the code. We are quite busy and there is no real market for other systems, so we do not plan to add new methods on our own, but feel free to modify the required code parts for you..

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
February 16, 2015 08:28PM
I absolutely will. Could you tell me where those transformation codes are located? I have read all of config, printer, and motion, but a hint would be a great help.

Thank you!
March 03, 2015 06:27AM
In motions.cpp it is this function:

uint8_t transformCartesianStepsToDeltaSteps(int32_t cartesianPosSteps[], int32_t deltaPosSteps[])

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
March 03, 2015 09:33AM
Thank you! Delta position steps was what I couldn't find.

Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login