Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's wrong with this print??

Posted by danlad1631 
Re: What's wrong with this print??
August 02, 2013 07:41PM
Oh, that's made things a lot clearer. Thanks for a great post Chris.
August 03, 2013 05:05AM
Would the standard settings bridge a cap of 15mmx15mm? If it was to sag, how would I correct that?
August 03, 2013 07:14AM
15mm is generally bridgeable, how well depends on lots of factors. It will always sag to some extent just as all cables, washing lines, etc, hang in a catenary unless they have infinite tension. To get a perfect bridge you need support material. However, after a few layers the bridge becomes straight so you can removed the loose sagging layers below with a knife.

If you examine the inside of the fan duct in the kit you can see what happens when it spans a gap about 60mm with ABS.

Things that help:

Fan cooling.
Lower extrusion temperature.
Using a filament cross sectional area a little less than the die swell cross section to give a little stretch, but not too much to snap.
Using W/T closer to 1.5 helps I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 12:44PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 03, 2013 09:29AM
I have some apologising to do.
@QuackingPlums
You were right and I was wrong!
I've just checked the effect of changing Default Extrusion Width and Perimeter width in Slic3r. For a .1mm layer height the calculated width is .68mm (which is pretty accurate when printed) . Changing Perimeter Width to 0.5mm reduces the extrusion rate (print speed remains the same obviously) and adjusts the nozzle positions accordingly. I've just measured the printed thickness at an average of .51mm. I cannot explain why I didn't see this behaviour previously; I was using an older version of Slic3r but I don't think it has changed in this respect. Anyway, my apologies.
August 03, 2013 11:23AM
When I try and print the same part again from my first post with the modified settings suggested, would the changes then have a negative effect on different objects I try to print? Would I need to change the settings to print a square object for example?
August 03, 2013 03:18PM
Ok, a few more basic question.

If I want to decrease the speed of the print, what is the correct option? If i change one option, will I have to change another?

How can I set the fan to come on, on small prints?

To change the temperature of the print, is it in the "Alterations" folder? If it is, what program can I use to edit it?

Thanks for all the help with this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login