Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cooling - very puzzled [SOLVED]

Posted by Alzibiff 
Cooling - very puzzled [SOLVED]
October 27, 2013 05:48PM
I am using Nophead's release of Skeinforge - the 50Plus version yet I don't seem to be able to get the cool plugin to work.

My Skeinforge settings on the COOL tab are as follows with my comments ..

Activate Cool : Ticked ; Needed to make Skeinforge take notice of the cool plugin
Full Fan Speed: 255 ; None of that PWM stuff!
Turn Fan on at the beginning: UNticked ; Even if this is ticked, I get a stack of M107s switching it off again (see below)
Do not user fan before layer (integer): 1 ; So I expect the fan to come on at layer 1 - assuming layer 0 is the first one
Force Fan on Bridge Layers: UNticked ; Although I have tried it with this box ticked
Maximum Layer time for fan use (seconds): 240 ; Big number so I expect all layers to have the fan on unless they take longer than 4 minutes
Full fan speed below layer time (seconds): 239 ; Keeps the fan on at full speed for all layers (unless they take longer than 4 minutes)

It becomes pointless to operate the fan with a manual M106 command because the GCode file keeps switching it off with an M107!
This is a typical section of GCode - again with my comments:

M103 ; Not a clue what this is for - I have read that it is no longer used
M106 ; Fan on
M106 S255 ; Yes - ON at maximum speed
M107 ; Now switch it off again

I am sure that I am missing something obvious but I need somebody to point out exactly what this is .... please smiling smiley

Alan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 03:09PM by Alzibiff.
Re: Cooling - very puzzled
October 27, 2013 08:26PM
I just get

M103
M106 S255

on every layer after the first and a single M107 at the end.

I don't know what is adding the extra M106 and M107 for you.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 27, 2013 08:31PM
Have you got anything in cool_start.gcode and cool_end.gcode?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 28, 2013 03:55AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you got anything in cool_start.gcode and
> cool_end.gcode?

No, although during the hours I spent trying to resolve this problem, I tried slicing with and without these files in place (carrying an M106 in the cool_start.gcode and M107 in the cool_end.gcode).

The cool plugin is clearly in place as I get code that I didn't get before, it's just adding more that it should. On a plus point you have confirmed that I have the settings correct which is helpful. I think that I will start a Skeinforge clear out next - delete everything which looks anything Skeingforgy and start from absolute scratch. (It goes without saying that I have already tried overwriting files in my Skeingforge 50Plus folder with the settings found in the current M90 zip from the Nophead Github).

I'll be back .....

Alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 03:56AM by Alzibiff.
October 28, 2013 06:56AM
You should get repeated M106 S255 lines (if PWM was in force these would be values other than S255) but there should be only one M107 at the end of the print.

Skeinforge is peculiar about saving the profile when changes are made. Sometimes it saves when you visit another Tab but if you make a change and quit the program it does not seem to save changes. Performing a slicing operation does seem to force a profile save though.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
October 28, 2013 02:12PM
Frustration over - I scoured my Win7 laptop and removed all the previous version of Skeinforge which I had installed. All fine and dandy and as expected with the cool plugin now.

Very curious experience though, not a clue what generated the extra M107s - and extra M106's come to that as they were not there before - it is as if previous versions were watching what was going on with 50Plus and chiming in on their own!

Thanks to Nophead and Neil for the replies.

Alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 02:13PM by Alzibiff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login