Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OS, software, and maybe hardware environment for mendel90 users?

Posted by dawa 
OS, software, and maybe hardware environment for mendel90 users?
November 30, 2013 07:59AM
Hi, I am curious about in what environments the mendel90 users operate their machines!
I created this thread in order to gather such information.

If you want to contribute, submit:
(if you only want to provide parts of this info, it is till interesting, at least for me :-)

1. Operating system + version.
2. 3D modelling software
3. Slicer software + special settings
4. Firmware, if not the default from nophead
5. If you have extra computer resources on the printer, like a rasberry Pi
6. Extra hardware added, like bluetooth adapter, extra display, etc.
7. Extra mechanical devices like eject mechanisms, or the like.
8. Other controller board than nopheads default
9. How did you build/get the printer? Experience?
10. Work flow tips and tricks, like if you have scripts for automating the whole process from CAD file to final printout, or whatever ways of working to share.
11. What you print, and maybe some background.
12. visions what you want to do

Maybe nophead already has a picture of this, like roughly how many windows users, linux users and Mac users?

Maybe this kind of question should be in a general reprap forum, but I am curiuos about mendel90...

Best regards,
David

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 10:05AM by dawa.
Re: OS, software, and maybe hardware environment for mendel90 users?
November 30, 2013 08:20AM
ubuntu 12.04

2. 3D modelling software
still learning: openscad, blender, wings3d.

still trying to learn the default

9. how I got it/building experience:
nopheads kit. Reading and following the manual was a great experience! Crisp, and to the point. Nothing is there without a purpose! Nice that everything can be viewed in openSCAD!
The software instructions for Linux users could perhaps be a bit more verbose.

a) flutes.
I am experimenting with manufacturing japanese shakuhachi flutes, and I intend to print removable mouth pieces to attach to pvc tubes for the "main" flute.
I also plan to print a small "noh-kan" cross flute, which has an irregular shape inside, thus hard to make with a PVC tube.
b) generating CAD files from programs. I have some ideas about 3D puzzzles and SAT solving.
c) robot parts
d) generating shapes defined by mathematical definitions, like a parameter equation of a surface.
e) trying Implicit CAD, a Haskell (type safe and side-effect free :-) version of openSCAD
f) a (perhaps unrealistic) long-term idea: rewrite skeinforge in Haskell, or provide gcode 3D generation for implicitCAD (point e above), they already seem to have 2D gcode generation for cutters.

BR,
David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 03:24AM by dawa.
November 30, 2013 02:06PM
- Until 2 days ago I used Windows 7 x64 but now I am using Windows 8.1 x64, no problems with instalation of the Mendel90.

2. 3D modelling software
- Google Sketchup and learning Solidworks

Slic3r for slicing
Cura to view the STL
Repetier to view the Gcode

Nothing mechanical, just an enclosure made of 4mm polycarbonate

I have 2 days to print a house mock-up/model for an architecture student.
November 30, 2013 03:48PM
Windows 7
Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)

2. 3D modelling software
Google Sketch-up
OpenSCAD

Slic3r 0.9.9

My own fork of nophead/T3P3 to incorporate Panelolu2 and some minor tweaks.

Raspberry Pi running OctoPi

Panelolu2
Webcam on a separate feed for remote monitoring (I don't use the OctoPi for this but I could)

Working on an "unattended start" bed blanket!

Standard Melzi but with the Panelolu2 expansion.

9. What happened to 9?! ;-)

10. Work flow tips and tricks, like if you have scripts for automating the whole process from CAD file to final printout, or whatever ways of working to share.
STLs output from modelling software.
Repetier Host for 'plating up' items and launching slicer.
Slic3r with multiple profiles for bed, filament and ambient temperature settings (ambient temperatures make a difference!)
Dropbox for sharing Repetier/Slic3r settings across all laptops/workstations (I'm lazy - I use whichever device is closest to me!) and gcode files.
Browser-based gcode viewer for previewing gcode.
Print mostly from SD but will use OctoPi more once I get round to configuring it to use SD unattended.

All kinds of stuff. I design a load of things for my other hobby; RC models and help out other people who want to try making things out of ideas.

Improve the adoption of 3D printing at a consumer level, which will require making this whole process a lot more friendly.
November 30, 2013 04:19PM
Awesome to read !! :-)

At point 9, the user can add some new aspect that I might have missed ;-)
December 01, 2013 12:35AM
Since I have 10 Raspberry Pi headed my way, I'm happy to see OctoPi mentioned. (Note: I'm not a techno hoarder. I use the Pis to teach young students to use computers for stuff other than games and Facebook.)

Ubuntu 12.04LTS

2. 3D modelling software
Blender and OpenSCAD
Skeingorge

Not yet, but soon.

Buy good filament, calibrate your printer as best as you can, learn what will and won't print well, then start thinking about scripting.

Anything that comes to mind. At the moment, a mounting that will allow for motion controlled time-lapse photography by a small team of junior high students. The Wade's extruder enspired the design for the printed parts. Simplify it, multiply it by two, throw in a couple of NEMA 17 motors, a couple of Polulu stepper controllers, an Arduino, a simple sketch, a battery, and some motivated students.

Help subvert the manufacturing and shipping status-quo.
December 01, 2013 07:01AM
fedora 19.

2. 3D modelling software
Blender, FreeCAD and OpenSCAD.

Skeinforge and Slic3r. My profiles are unified for 0.5mm perimeter and infill width.

Standard nophead Marlin 1.0.0RC2.

None.

Bed cooling fan controlled by a JeeLabs MOSFET Plug.

None.

None.

Mine was nophead kit. One or two little confused areas in the build manual but generally no problems with the build. Nice result.

I have spent some time configuring my machine to print accurately using Skeinforge and from there developed a set of Slic3r profiles which replicate that accuracy.

Mostly fixings and electronic project enclosures.

I want to develop my parametric design skills with OpenSCAD and FreeCAD skills for one-off prints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 03:10AM by neildarlow.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
December 01, 2013 08:29AM
To run the printer:

Asus Netbook with Adam processor and 2GB of RAM. (Just a piece of junk I had laying around)
Windows 7 x32

2. 3D modelling software
OpenScad if I am changing someone else's designs (not a programmer so hard for me to get my head around designing my own things from scratch in it)

SketchUp if I am designing my own simple objects

Slic3r 1.0.0RC-1
.25 layer height with .35 nozzle
.25 first layer with 120%
Default speeds
Zero temperatures. I run temps manually with host software
With my MakerFarm ABS I use .85 Extrusion multiplier to prevent overextrusion

Default Nophead; however, I have just cranked up WinMerge and transferred optimal Nophead settings to the latest Marlin. I have not tested for any quality differences yet.

Printer runs from Asus HD1000 netbook. No other resources; however, I am considering a PiCam

None

None

Printer was a MDF based self sourced and built. Controller is RAMPS 1.4

None .. STL to Slic3R to Pronterface

My wife teases all I print is: 1. Parts for other people to build printers 2. Accessories for my printer 3. Plastic cats to show off to friends smiling smiley

I print a lot of toys for my kids. Skyrim video game items such as the logo, door quest icons, etc. I printed a ton of pirate coins for a treasure chest my wife got the kids at Goodwill. Minecraft action figures. Little boxes and bottles.

Like other mentioned .. improve CAD abilities to create more sophisticated designs on my own. I really want to create a Scan-o-tron and print 3d action figures of people I scan with a Kinect.
December 01, 2013 10:07AM
Hi, I just added point 9! See above :-)
David
December 09, 2013 03:56PM
1. W7 64bit
2. IronCad and Rhino
3. Slice3r and Skeinforge
4. Default M90
9. Built the kit. I am disabled and my thirteen year old daughter put most of it together (yes it cost me in terms of eBay items, clothes and a cell phone smiling smiley). If we can do it anyone can. Kudo's to Nophead for an awesome kit!
10. I am just learning but I would say 'iterate, iterate, iterate,' changing one variable at a time. And clean glass with vinegar and kitchen paper towel for PLA.
11. I print mostly stuff to help me with my disability. Daily needs items, sports adapted equipment, fishing related things.
12. I want to become much better at mechanical design, software operation, RepRap understanding in general. 3D printing has changed my life and I hope to help others eventually through it.
December 11, 2013 06:13AM
For some reason I don't have an edit button against my post above, so here's my answer to question 9:

I ordered my kit from nophead the day after I saw and helped build another one (belonging to my mate Terry/Chargenut) and was absolutely knocked over by how well designed it was and how easy it was to put together. The first one took us an entire weekend (ok, we messed around quite a bit during the process) but the second one was done within one day. It's the gift that keeps on giving, both from the satisfaction of having assembled it and from the objects that it produces. There's something very powerful about being able to take an idea from inception right through to a physical object you can hold in your hands!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login