Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bulldog clips in conflict with extruder fan?

Posted by dawa 
Bulldog clips in conflict with extruder fan?
December 15, 2013 06:26AM
Hello,
It seems that it is hard to find a way to adjust the level of the extruder fan and the bulldog clips on the glass plate, so that they don't crash into each other. Yet, I only had nice and small prints, when this is not a problem. But If I want to use the whole xy plane, then I guess it is a problem.
Any tips how to deal with it? Right now my fan is hanging down a bit, so I can adjust it a few mm's. But that won't suffice. At least the margins are very small in that case.
Alternatives to the bulldog clips?
I thought that I can trim the clips, and remove the upper handles, as well as flattening the clips upper "loops" by pressing it flat in a vice. It will be more difficult to put the glass plate on and off the bed then, but maybe it is still better. Or one could design a 3D printed clip tailored for this task, with a small crooked piece of sheet metal as part of it, to grip the glass plate from underneath.

/David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 06:27AM by dawa.
Re: Bulldog clips in conflict with extruder fan?
December 15, 2013 07:15AM
If you remove the top handles the fan duct should clear the rest of the clip.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 15, 2013 03:44PM
As long as you don't need the entire build surface you can just flip the top handle forward onto the glass. This has been working for me so far since I haven't printed a really large object.
December 15, 2013 05:49PM
Thanks! Good points!
December 19, 2013 07:50AM
I have found this on Thingiverse :

[www.thingiverse.com]

It looks interesting, but there is a risk to melt the part (specially in PLA), isn't there ?
December 19, 2013 08:04AM
If you print it in ABS and then only print PLA it might be ok. I would print it vertically though, printing it horizontally looks like an invitation for layer seperation.

Or head to your 'dollar store'. I bought a pack of 10 bulldog clips, with 5 tiny ones that fit perfectly with their clips for 59p from Home Bargains in the UK...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login