Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for a PSU recommendations

Posted by academicdave 
Looking for a PSU recommendations
December 30, 2013 08:20PM
After doing a lot of research and spending two months trying to decide which printer to buy I finally ordered a Mendel90 from nophead. But I live in America so I have to acquire my own PSU. So I am looking for recommendations. I saw this this thread where someone recommended the Corsair. But then I read this blog post by someone who built a Mendel90 who had trouble getting the Corsair to fit in the frame. Anyone else have feedback/thoughts on which one to buy? I feel comfortable with the physical parts of the build, and the software, but my wiring experiences are limited so looking for a PSU that will be less challenging.

Thanks.
Re: Looking for a PSU recommendations
December 31, 2013 12:02PM
Search eBay for "12v LED power supply" and look for a small silver box. I got one of these that puts out 30A and works well. A lot of reprap printers use this style of power supply. You'll need to wire up a plug to it, but it's not a challenge.
December 31, 2013 01:00PM
I purchased this one [www.tigerdirect.ca] and it fit and works great. But, there is probably a cheaper option out there.
December 31, 2013 04:13PM
I had the Corsair 650 and it is too large to fit the printed PSU holders for the M90. I had to print some custom pieces in order to be able to mount the PSU. It works fine despite being physically too large.
January 04, 2014 07:32AM
why do you need a new PSU? is the one supplied by nophead not ready for wide input voltage of 90-240V?
January 04, 2014 08:21AM
We don't supply the PSU for 120V countries because the one we use is for 220V-230V only. According to the box there is a dual version with a switch but we have been unable to buy it in the UK.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 05, 2014 05:10AM
If you are getting a PSU just for your 3d printer, I guess you can consider a proper industrial power supply. I've been reading quite a few problems caused by CPU PSU being unable to supply enough power.

Maybe something like that: Power Supply
~360w seems to be a popular choice and this comes with a fan. I'm running a 12v 12a LED power supply and it gets so hot that I have to put a 120mm fan in front of it in order to keep my printer sane.

I'm not the seller or something like that, just a suggestion. Cheers. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 05:13AM by chngyian.
January 05, 2014 08:55AM
That won't fit on the Mendel90 frame. Also it requires mains connections and very few people know how the make those in a way that would meet safety regulations.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login