Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Manual bed leveling not working out

Posted by Diemex 
Manual bed leveling not working out
February 25, 2014 11:31PM
I have spent far too much time on my bed leveling, I'm running in circles and achieving absolutely nothing. Seems like I fix it on one corner and then another corner is wrong again. I'm not sure how accurate it should be or what is even achievable through manual adjustements.

I use a piece of aluminium rod as feeler and then move the z-axis up/down until it slides through and make adjustements according to that.
These are the current heights in mm,

front
0.3 0.8
0.7 0.2
back

If I leave gaps between the washers and the pillars I'm able to get the bed to about 0.3 mm accuracy between the corners. I have the feeling that that is probably not what I'm supposed to do.

Where am I supposed to put the clamps? Does the glassplate have to be easily removable or does it usually stay in place?
Re: Manual bed leveling not working out
February 26, 2014 08:14AM
The clips should be at the corners as shown on the assembly diagrams. You may want to remove the glass if items get stuck to it. For example I have to remove it every time I print Wade's big gears to knock them off with a hammer!

The corners should be a lot closer to level than you have them, 0.05mm or better. You don't seem to be following the procedure in the manual. The back two pillars should be tight against their washers and the back is levelled left right by adjusting the Z motors. The front pillars do not have washers fitted. They are just used as shims to set the initial gap and then the pillars are adjusted to get the front level. You do have to iterate a few times as the adjustments interact due to the various sheets flexing.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 26, 2014 04:05PM
Thanks for your help, seems like I misunderstood the manual. I was able to level the bed to about 0.05 mm accuracy. I added a m3 nyloc nut below the pillars at the back. They are rocksolid now and the pillars can't rotate from turning the screw.
For leveling the bed right/left I did the following: In pronterface I moved the z-axis up the amount I needed to adjust. I noted the position of the motors after the movement, moved them back, switched the printer off and rotated the motor on one side by hand, that way I didn't have to guess the amount of needed rotations. It only took me a few minutes to level the bed smiling smiley smiling smiley.

February 27, 2014 12:00AM
Looks like you have overtighten all your y-axis rod clamps... Maybe you have more overtighten bolts?
Be carefull mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 12:04AM by Salocin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login