Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder problem

Posted by daniedb 
Extruder problem
December 12, 2013 02:46PM
Hi Guys
This is my first post on the forum, so please bear with me if this question has been answered.
I'm pretty familiar with 3D printers, owner of a Thing-o-Matic and Replicator 2. Just receive my Reprap Ormerod NO 82 from RS.
Build went smooth, and wiring is ok.
All Axis runs fine, and extruder extrudes up to the Nozzle, and then stuck... Don't want to feed, gear/stepper just vibrate but don't move
I've tried PLA and ABS and various temp settings

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Appreciate
Danie
Re: Extruder problem
December 12, 2013 04:08PM
Hi Danie

We're working on a troubleshooting guide for the Ormerod. In the meantime, the Tricolour Mendel hot end and extruder is very similar, so you should be able to use the guide here to help troubleshoot: [www.reprappro.com]

Check particularly the 'construction problems'. It sounds like you may have swept debris, perhaps ptfe swarf (which won't melt) from the Bowden tube, into the nozzle and blocked it. Or the heater block is not transferring heat well to the nozzle, as the brass tapered nut is not tight.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
December 12, 2013 11:34PM
Thanks Ian, I'll check al that and reply with the results

Cheers
Danie
December 13, 2013 06:01AM
Diassemble and re-assemble the complete extruder, and triple check everything. The filament runs smooth from the motorvia the tube into the nozzle.

1 of 2 things run my mind.
1. the motor is not strong enough to feed the filament
2. the feeder gear slips. (And this is fixed, cannot be adjust)

When pressing the Filament via the tube by hand, and not very hard, it runs through the nozzle, no problem, but as soon as the motor needs to feed, it just vibrate, no feeding.

Can we adjust the "torque" on the extruder stepper.
I had a simular problem on my Thing-o-matic, and when I adjust the Vref on the control board, it worked way better

Thanks
Danie
December 13, 2013 07:00AM
Hi Danie

If you set the motor to extrude 100mm, then hold the large gear, does it feel like it has too little strength?

It does sound possibly like a motor or motor driver problem, though could be wiring. The vref is set in firmware, and should be correct. Can you try swapping the motor from another axis, and reseating all wiring? That should rule out the motors and wiring, and whether it's a board fault.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
December 13, 2013 08:24AM
reprappro
Hi Danie

If you set the motor to extrude 100mm, then hold the large gear, does it feel like it has too little strength?

It does sound possibly like a motor or motor driver problem, though could be wiring. The vref is set in firmware, and should be correct. Can you try swapping the motor from another axis, and reseating all wiring? That should rule out the motors and wiring, and whether it's a board fault.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Ian
>>If you set the motor to extrude 100mm, then hold the large gear, does it feel like it has too little strength?
not much grip to get the gear stand still. Not much Torque

Changed the Y motor with extruder and visaverse.
Still the same Problem.
Very little torque on Extruder Stepper. Can hold the gear with not much force

Did check all wirings again.

Cheers
Danie
December 15, 2013 06:23AM
Hi Danie

It does sound like a stepper driver problem. Please email me on support at reprappro dot com and we'll organise a warranty replacement. It would be good to get your board back, to work out what has gone wrong with it.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 09, 2014 03:09PM
Hi Ian

Thanks Ian and RepRap Crew
I Received the Warranty Replacement Board today... Fitted... whalla.... extruder extrude with out any problems.
Now to get all the calibrations done.

Thanks again for the great support & Help
Cheers
Danie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login