Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3R call in Pronterface gives error

Posted by alanbattersby 
Slic3R call in Pronterface gives error
January 19, 2014 02:25PM
Hi,
I have finished commissioning and want to print the Y belt hook connectors as my first print. So I tried to load file in pronterface but am getting an error. The version is the one downloaded from the firmware repository and executed as a python program and patched as described in the fix for usb printing topic, it is not the pronterface exe. Also firmware is latest DATE:2014-01-16".

However Python3 is set up as the default language on my system (I am intending doing some programming in python but only just started) so pronterface is called by executing C:\Python27\python.exe C:\Users\ALAN\RepRapPro\pronterface\pronterface.py. I downloaded all the ancillary python files as specified on the website. I also have the 1.1 release candidate of slic3r on this computer.

Can anyone tell me what the missing file would be and why this is happening?

Alan

Pronterface output is

Slicing E:\RepRap parts\YbeltHookv5.stl
Slicing: ./Slic3r/bin/slic3r $s --output $o --load "
./profiles//filament/Ormerod-0.5.ini" --load "
./profiles//print/Ormerod-0.5.ini" --load "
./profiles//printer/Ormerod-0.5.ini"
Failed to execute slicing software:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\ALAN\RepRapPro\pronterface\pronterface.py", line 1235, in skein_func
self.skeinp = subprocess.Popen(pararray, stderr = subprocess.STDOUT, stdout = subprocess.PIPE)
File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 893, in _execute_child
startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
0 mm of filament used in this print
Re: Slic3R call in Pronterface gives error
January 19, 2014 02:57PM
I think the path to your profiles has an extra '/' in it:
/profiles//filament/Ormerod-0.5.ini"

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 19, 2014 04:31PM
Thanks,
I see that, but as I havent created/edited any ini files for pronterface it must be already in the files I downloaded from the repository. So I found and edited the .pronsole to give set sliceconfig ./profiles and ran again. Still get the error though paths now seem to be correct as illustrated below. Still not sure which file is missing. Just ran slic3r 1.0 RC2 on stl file and gcode generated with no problem.

Alan

Slicing E:\RepRap parts\YbeltHookv5.stl
Slicing: ./Slic3r/bin/slic3r $s --output $o --load "./profiles/filament/Ormerod-0.5.ini" --load "./profiles/print/Ormerod-0.5.ini" --load "./profiles/printer/Ormerod-0.5.ini"
Failed to execute slicing software:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\ALAN\RepRapPro\pronterface\pronterface.py", line 1235, in skein_func
self.skeinp = subprocess.Popen(pararray, stderr = subprocess.STDOUT, stdout = subprocess.PIPE)
File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 893, in _execute_child
startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
0 mm of filament used in this print

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 04:35PM by alanbattersby.
January 19, 2014 04:50PM
Where did you install slic3r, and what directory were you in when you loaded Pronterface? The path it's trying to load slic3r from in the 'Slicing' message looks like a relative path.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 19, 2014 05:10PM
I was getting confused (for about the 10th time today).
The way we get you to install profiles with Ormerod is different from our other machines. We get you to install them in the Slic3r default directory, which is much more sensible, so that if you open Slic3r directly, it opens with the right profiles. This separates the usage of Pronterface and Slic3r, because you may want to slice an stl and send it via the web interface. Then you don't need Pronterface at all.

You can call Slic3r from Pronterface (so you don't actually open Slic3r, it slices 'in' Pronterface), but you'll need to edit the Pronterface 'Settings | Options' values. As installed from the Pronterface ZIP, the three important settings will look something like:
slicecommand: ./Slic3r/bin/slic3r $s --output $o
sliceoptscommand: ./Slic3r/bin/slic3r
sliceconfig: ./profiles/
These are correct for a Linux installation of Slic3r, where the Slic3r folder is in the same folder as Pronterface. It will need to be changed for windows. It will need to be:
slicecommand: [Path to slic3r folder]/Slic3r/slic3r.exe $s --output $o
sliceoptscommand: [Path to slic3r folder]/Slic3r/slic3r.exe
sliceconfig: [leave blank, Slic3r should use it's last used options]
If that doesn't help, post the EXACT contents of slicecommand, sliceoptscommand and sliceconfig, and the EXACT path to Slic3r.exe (right click on it, properties, should show the whole path) and I'll tell you what to put in.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 20, 2014 09:42AM
Thanks,
I have installed slice3R in its own folder at same level as pronterface folder. So changed paths to suit viz ../Slic3r/slic3r $s --output $o etc and it now works within pronterface.

Alan
January 20, 2014 09:01PM
Confusion.... I wonder if I have that.... I'm not so sure....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login