Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help on this openscad model!!

Posted by Chaisaeng 
Need Help on this openscad model!!
April 13, 2014 08:30AM
I need help again hope it not too much for you.
I got a LED Switching powersupply rated 300W 12V.
I want to print out it's cover so I whipup one in openscad.
the back cover will not having any issue in printing but
I'm worry abot the front cover it may having issues in printing.
in summary my cover having a cutout on top to install a cheap LED volt meter found in ebay.
I have a cutout for ac socket combination which having the ac socket, a fuse holder and a power switch altogether.
I put 2 cutout and support frame for 4 pins female molex support for 12V outlet
[www.molex.com]

This is my first model in openscad so I'm not sure it will print correctly. the thing is ther is a large gap (LED mount) thet need to
print in long briding which I not sure my printer can do that or not. please advice.
if I put the stl in slic3r and enable support material generation can i print it.
Thanks as always
Attachments:
open | download - psucase.scad (5.8 KB)
open | download - psufront.stl (460.4 KB)
Re: Need Help on this openscad model!!
April 13, 2014 12:57PM
I decided to explicitly model support material into scad. still I having concern of the molex socket which still having
large bridged in the body frame. please advice whether it is possible to print or not?
Attachments:
open | download - psucase.png (14 KB)
open | download - psucase2.png (5.1 KB)
April 15, 2014 07:23AM
The best way IMO is to try printing it and see whether it has problems. If it does, then watching it attempt to print can give you ideas about where to place support material. To avoid wasting too much plastic and time, you could make a test STL by cutting up the part in a new OpenScad file to isolate just the anticipated problem areas. I do that frequently with parts that need to be fitted together or onto other items in order to get the size of the mating places exactly right - just make sure that the test piece is printed in exactly the same orientation as you will be printing the final part.

Dave
(#106)
April 15, 2014 09:26AM
dmould
The best way IMO is to try printing it and see whether it has problems. If it does, then watching it attempt to print can give you ideas about where to place support material. To avoid wasting too much plastic and time, you could make a test STL by cutting up the part in a new OpenScad file to isolate just the anticipated problem areas. I do that frequently with parts that need to be fitted together or onto other items in order to get the size of the mating places exactly right - just make sure that the test piece is printed in exactly the same orientation as you will be printing the final part.

Dave
(#106)
Thanks Dave, I printed after adding the explicit support. I did export it before add that then using slic3r with enable support material option
,check in gcode.ws found out that slic3r generate too much support for the model to print. It took me 8 hours to finish the print but the molex socket frame came out
exactly the same dimension of my measurement so it will not fit my molex connector, i need to file a lot to get the molex into the frame, guess i forgot to add some clearance to leave room for the part to be fit in.
April 15, 2014 11:41AM
Chaisaeng
Thanks Dave, I printed after adding the explicit support. I did export it before add that then using slic3r with enable support material option
,check in gcode.ws found out that slic3r generate too much support for the model to print. It took me 8 hours to finish the print but the molex socket frame came out
exactly the same dimension of my measurement so it will not fit my molex connector, i need to file a lot to get the molex into the frame, guess i forgot to add some clearance to leave room for the part to be fit in.

I start by leaving 0.5mm clearance total (0.25mm per side) for square shapes and large round shapes (>15mm dia), and 0.25mm clearance for small round shapes. Usually needs a bit of tweaking or filing, but I find that's in the ball-park.

I believe Cura does a better job of adding support than Slic3r, though I think it's better to add it in the design.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login