Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aluminium parts for Ormerod1

Posted by MarkusWolf 
Aluminium parts for Ormerod1
May 10, 2015 06:37AM
I am planning to upgrade my Ormerod 1 with a 2nd head but suspect my construction to be too "shaky". Aside other measures, including those recommended by David Crocker, I would like therefore to exchange the "z-corner-bracket", "z-lower-mount" and the "Z-lower-brace" with aluminium ones. Does anyone know a source where to get them from?
Markus
Re: Aluminium parts for Ormerod1
May 10, 2015 09:44AM
Hi Markus,

ich erlaube mir mal in deutsch zu antworten.
Meine bescheidene Meinung, vergiss es...
Ich habe auch nach langer Suche keine brauchbaren und bezahlbaren Upgrade-Parts gefunden.
Der gute Ormerod ist kein schlechter Drucker, aber das Ding hat einfach seine Grenzen. Was die X-Achse angeht, bin ich gerade dabei den umgekehrten Weg zu gehen und nicht noch einen Extruder zu montieren sondern keinen mehr.
Bei mir wandert das Ding zukünftig an die Z-Achse, die sollte das Gewicht ganz locker abkönnen ohne zu verwinden. Der Nachteil ist halt eine längere, und damit spielbehaftete, Filamentführung.
Das ist meiner Meinung nach die einzige gescheite Möglichkeit für einen Multiextruderbetrieb an diesem Drucker.

Gruß
Steffen
May 10, 2015 01:10PM
MarkusWolf
... I would like therefore to exchange the "z-corner-bracket", "z-lower-mount" and the "Z-lower-brace" with aluminium ones. Does anyone know a source where to get them from?
Markus

The most solid and simple solution IMHO is to pull the z and y extrusion tight together with screw and t-nut and to keep them square with a z-foot made out of steel or aluminum, the drilling of the extrusions and making of the z-foot is a simple matter if you have access to a drill press

a solid spacer to distribute the pull and make space for the screw head

I did ad a set-square plate to hold the axis true but that was overkill, the z-foot will do just fine

More pictures, rebuild of Mario's Ormerod1:

[forums.reprap.org]

Ormerod nr. 168:

[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
May 10, 2015 01:44PM

;-)

Erik
May 10, 2015 04:37PM
It's always a pleasure to see these photos, Erik! You did a really good job there, I still get a bit jealous when I see them smiling smiley

Kistenschieber (translated)
IMHO forget about it...
Having searched for a long time I still haven't found any usable or affordable upgrade parts.

Well, it really depends what you need. I agree the Ormerod 1 has several flaws (major ones being the bed, IR probe and X axis) which need to be addressed if you want to use it as an every-day printer, but there are plenty of upgrades available like DaveK's excellent alu X-arm replacement and dc42's infrared Z-probe. I've been extremely happy with both of them. IMO the time needed to prepare the printer by hand every time before you actually start a new print can easily become more expensive than just buying and installing a new sensor board (and X-axis arm) right away.

Besides, there are many free upgrade parts and improvement instructions available here.

Kistenschieber (translated)
The good Ormerod isn't a bad printer but that thing definitely has its limitations. Concerning the X-axis I'm on my reverse way and won't mount another extruder on it but none at all.
On my setup that thing is going to be attached to the Z-axis, it should hold the weight more easily and should not twist. The disadvantage is the longer way for the filament and thus increased play.
IMO this is the only reasonable way to drive multiple extruders with this printer.

Every 3D printer has its limits but you need to keep the costs in mind. The more expensive a printer is, the more it can usually do, and it's rather obvious that you won't get a 3000€ printer for 550€. Still, for that price it's a fair offer (talking about the quality of the Ormerod 2, from my experience the O1 was a bit more expensive to get it up running nicely [IIRC I paid 700€ for the original kit and another 200€ for additional upgrade parts]).

Anyway, I for one installed DaveK's alu X-arm kit a long time ago and I've been really happy with it, it's an excellent part and doesn't twist a tiny bit even if multiple extruder drives are mounted on-top. He also ships his kits to Germany, so I don't quite understand why you didn't spot that one during your search.

But back to the topic: I don't think these Z parts need to be made out of aluminium, Erik has already provided a really nice way to show how it could be done instead. I replaced my original PLA parts with SmartABS ones a while ago and they seem to work just well. Also check out my modified Z motor brace on the improvements wiki page if you decide to replace them with ABS parts as well.

I guess you could have these three parts CNC-machined since all of them are available on GitHub, but this is really up to you. I figure that would be more expensive than Erik's solution though.
May 11, 2015 06:54AM
Thank you all for your helpful advise. I think I will follow Erik`s example and try to support the axis in a similar way.
Markus
May 11, 2015 03:16PM
Hi an alle,

natürlich kenne ich DaveK's alu X-arm kit.
Das ist sicher ein sinnvolles Upgrade, aber im Verhältnis zum Preis des Druckers kein Schnäppchen.
Ich denke aber das man hier nicht übertreiben sollte.
Aus einem Ormerod wird auch durch viele Updates kein 3000€ Drucker.
Das macht aus dem Ding ja kein schlechtes Gerät, schon gar nicht zu dem Preis.
Ich habe zwei davon am laufen, ich hätte den zweiten sicher nicht angeschafft wenn das Preis / Leistungsverhältnis nicht o.k. wäre.
Einige Schwachpunkte, wenn man sie denn so nennen möchte, lassen sich durch Upgrades aber einfach nicht sinnvoll beheben.
(Auch durch das oben genannte nicht)
Was ich auf jeden Fall umrüsten würde ist der IR-Sensor, das ist mehr als preiswert, und du erkennst deinen Drucker nicht wieder.

Aber nochmal, wesentliche Veränderungen erreichst du nur durch umfassende Umbauten, und da passt für mich das Aufwand / Nutzen Verhältnis einfach nicht.

Und Nein, ich versuche das Gerät nicht schlecht zu reden, aber ich bin halt Realist...
Das hier einige direkt immer so angep... sind...

Gruß
Steffen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login