Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bearings making an awful noise

Posted by hughesie 
Bearings making an awful noise
December 29, 2013 05:15PM
I'm part way through a large print and the X and Y axis bearings are making a real squeaky grinding noise .

Do they need lubricating ?
Re: Bearings making an awful noise
December 29, 2013 06:03PM
On the Y and Z axis, undo the bearing clamps, and do them back up again while moving the carriages back and forth on the shafts. Try to put an even amount of pressure on each screw. It's probably that they've not aligned well as the clamps have done up. Though I'm surprised the X axis is doing this, as this can't really be miss-aligned. Perhaps a drop of lubrication (light oil, like 3-in-1, is best) on each side of the bearing would help. Make sure you don't drop it on your print surface though - it will stop the PLA sticking to it.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
December 29, 2013 06:03PM
Hughsie

It was never mentioned in the build instructions but light non acidic machine oil seems to be the concensus. In prctice that probably means 3in1 oil.

Rory

PS. Just seen Ians reply. Customer service in 48 minutes after 10pm on a Sunday night. Hard to beat that methinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 06:06PM by Rory166.
January 03, 2014 08:12PM
I just posted about this too and must have missed yours. Mine has been doing the same thing, and we seemed to be able to remedy the problem by using some masking tape along the x-axis where the bearing meets the plastic laser printed x axis and it stopped almost immediately. The bearing seemed to be scraping, instead of turning, so the masking tape gives it a bit more purchase. Hope that is helpful.

Ash
January 04, 2014 03:41AM
Ash, it sounds like you may need to turn the washer next to the bearing around. The face with sharp edges should be away from the bearing. If that doesn't work and there is room, substitute a 623ZZ bearing for the existing 9mm one.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login