Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB or Network

Posted by DANNYP200 
USB or Network
January 11, 2014 11:15AM
I have just swapped out the Duet board as the 12v to +5V was not working (thank you Ian for such speedy service), and on the new one, after updating the firmware to latest version I can connect via USB or via Ethernet but not both together.

Has anyone any ideas?

RS377
Re: USB or Network
January 11, 2014 11:28AM
Hi Danny, when you say "not both together", is that Arduino serial monitor + network, or Pronterface + network? Are you using the same host computer and network connection as before? Are you powering the 5V from the ATX supply, or from USB?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 12, 2014 09:53AM
Hi dc42

Powering via a USB hub at present, It's Pronterface and Ethernet, serial monitor seems to work OK.
Pronterface gives this error message 'could not open port COM12: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified'
January 12, 2014 10:11AM
DANNYP200
Pronterface gives this error message 'could not open port COM12: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified'

When I get that message (assuming that COM12 really is the correct port number), I find that I need to disconnect the USB cable (do it at the host end, unless you know that the USB socket on the Duet is properly soldered on the board) and reconnect it before Pronterface will connect. Obviously this means you need to be powering +5V from the ATX supply (i.e. JP9 installed), otherwise the Duet will lose power.

You may also want to try my modified firmware here which fixes some network issues and (in conjunction with a patch to Pronterface) gets printing over USB working properly.

PS - and of course you need to close Arduino IDE before you can connect Pronterface, otherwise Arduino IDE owns the port.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 10:13AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 12, 2014 01:43PM
Brilliant..

Not being good at python I had opted for the windows pronterface install, but now switched to the python one and surprise, it works. I'll also try all your mods.

Thanks for all your work on making the Ormerod work. It's will be great when there is a simple single install that just works. Uploading firmware and hunting through forums is not the way a product should be made to work.
January 12, 2014 03:48PM
@DANNYP200: There's no real difference between the way the pre-compiled and Python version of Pronterface communicate with the Duet board. They are both serial monitors, just like the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor. I expect that what was happening is that the COM port was changing on you. If you are connected to the Duet, via Pronterface or the Serial Monitor, and physically disconnect the Duet (without disconnecting in Pronterface/Serial Monitor), then plug it back in, Pronterface/Serial Monitor still has the port open. So the Duet is assigned a new COM port. The Serial Monitor forces you to choose each time, but Pronterface has a default, so if you disconnect/reconnect in Pronterface, it won't have changed to the new port that has been assigned. Though it generally chooses the correct port if you quit and reopen.

I hope that makes sense.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 03:49PM by droftarts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login