Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder nozzle - diameter?

Posted by kwikius 
Extruder nozzle - diameter?
January 13, 2014 07:07AM
Hi,

Does anyone know the diameter of the extruder nozzle as supplied. I opted to get another one since I'm not too sure I made a good job on the first one and am going to try again using Ormerod168's method as per this thread.

Also ... what difference does the nozzle size make?

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
Re: Extruder nozzle - diameter?
January 13, 2014 07:13AM
it's 0.5mm internal diameter, M5 external thread, stainless steel -not sure what the nozzle diameter governs really - doesn't seem to be be involved in layer height, I presume it's just extrusion width (slic3r's manual says that setting extrusion widths thinner than nozzle diameter is "undefined" iirc)

Ray
January 13, 2014 07:13AM
I recently received a couple of reels of ABS from "3DFilaPrint" and found they had included a complimentary 0.4mm nozzle with each reel.
January 13, 2014 07:20AM
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of a cutaway view through the nozzle so I can visualise what the bowden tube should look like when inserted into the nozzle?

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
January 13, 2014 07:28AM
you can find it in "ormerod master" on github (can''t find the link at the moment, but here's a pdf from the copy I downloaded): nozzle.PDF - hmm on actually opening the pdf, I see it isn't the shipping nozzle, but I guess that the internals will have stayed the same - I successfully made one that had the internal chamfer of a standard ground 2mm jobber's drill bit and it works pretty well, so I wouldn't bother trying to get a 45° internal angle if I were you

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 07:32AM by rayhicks.
January 13, 2014 07:40AM
It seems we haven't quite managed to collect these bits together in the Ormerod folder; it's here, with the Bowden pieces: [github.com]
The hobbed insert is for the Mendel though.

We sell a 0.5mm nozzle (standard in the kit) and 0.3mm nozzle. I'm not sure what dmould's 3DFilaPrint 0.4 nozzle is. Picture?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 13, 2014 07:45AM
rayhicks
you can find it in "ormerod master" on github (can''t find the link at the moment, but here's a pdf from the copy I downloaded): [attachment 24662 nozzle.PDF] - hmm on actually opening the pdf, I see it isn't the shipping nozzle ...
Ray

The one rayhicks has found is actually the development version of our *next* nozzle, for Tricolour Ormerod! Will be subject to change, though: [github.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 13, 2014 07:49AM
Thanks. That is very helpful. From looking at that I realise I didnt mean the nozzle, but the threaded brass union.

I found something that looks similar to that Mendel bowden-end

From the Ormerdo manual

"Do the brass up until you can see the cone you cut by looking down the free end of the brass." Does that mean the bowden tube should be nearly poking out the end of the brass union?

Is there meant to be a very thin bowden tube all the way to the end? If so I found that pretty tricky

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
January 13, 2014 07:55AM
Oops. Didnt check for replies between starting and sending last post ... apolgies!

Ormerod #318
January 13, 2014 11:08AM
droftarts
We sell a 0.5mm nozzle (standard in the kit) and 0.3mm nozzle. I'm not sure what dmould's 3DFilaPrint 0.4 nozzle is. Picture?
Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Still cannot "create link in message" so you'll have to open the attachment!

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 11:12AM by dmould.
Attachments:
open | download - Nozzle.jpg (182.6 KB)
January 13, 2014 11:13AM
dmould - well, they won't fit the Ormerod! I can't even work out what nozzle they are for... not J-head, which is one of the most popular. Did it come with any info?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 13, 2014 12:51PM
reprappro
dmould - well, they won't fit the Ormerod! I can't even work out what nozzle they are for... not J-head, which is one of the most popular. Did it come with any info?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

No, no info - only just took one out of the packet to take a photo

Dave
January 31, 2014 08:34PM
droftarts
We sell a 0.5mm nozzle (standard in the kit) and 0.3mm nozzle.

I had a look at [www.emakershop.com] and it says the nozzles are for the mendel and huxley. Will these fit the ormerod?

Jack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 08:37PM by jack40k.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login