Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with drivers

Posted by birwin 
Problem with drivers
January 22, 2014 12:29PM
I am using a windows vista machine and when I connect up the duet board to the machine it comes up with a message "USB device not recognised. One of the USB devices attached to your computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." I only got up to the stage 'Commissioning' in the instructions so I haven't been able to print anything yet. It did connect once or twice and I got the message "Temperature measurement fault on heater 1, T = -273.1" so I replaced the thermistor, after that work for a while and then stopped. I didn't even get the chance to load the firmware.

I have looked online for solutions to the same message and tried a few, like rebooting the system, but they all haven't worked. I am going to try a windows 7 machine soon which I hope may fix it. Do you think it could be a problem with the Duet board or have I got a problem with the drivers?

Thanks

Ben
Re: Problem with drivers
January 22, 2014 12:37PM
Sounds like a driver installation issue. Take a look at this thread [forums.reprap.org]. I expect Windows Vista will behave like Windows 7 does. Also note that different drivers are used when the firmware is being flashed, so you may be able to flash the firmware even if you can't connect (but you'll have to erase the firmware to try this). Use Device Manager to see what Windows thinks is connected.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 22, 2014 12:40PM
Ok just checked the windows 7 machine and it had a similar problem. It failed to load the drivers.
January 22, 2014 12:54PM
birwin

Sounds like a dodgy USB socket to me, if it's continually saying funny things, and you're having that much trouble with it. Have a look at the socket on the board; it should have 4 tabs that go through the board, all of which should be soldered. If only two, or none of them, are, the USB socket is weak. It's something we only picked up with our manufacturers after 650+ kits had been shipped, unfortunately...

Email me, and we'll swap the board under warranty - support at reprappro dot com.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 22, 2014 03:25PM
Hello All

I just had the same issue with the "USB Device not recognised" message with my replacement Duet board, strange thing was it is detecting the original Duet board fine.
I got it working by installing the drivers by hand (dpinst-amd64.exe for Windows 7 64bit) and then re-inserted the USB cable to the new Duet board and it recognised it.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 03:25PM by TMD_RS436.

RS Ormerod No 436
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login