Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD card cannot be read by Due

Posted by Ingeneo70 
SD card cannot be read by Due
January 24, 2014 04:37AM
Got the Ormerod for RS South Africa and finished assembling it all yesterday. My printer is #70 Red.

I opened the SD card to find that it was empty, even though website said that it had the software on it.
Downloaded the firmware on the SD card and inserted it into the Ormerod. Did not read at first and after reading through the forum realized that this was a similar issue to other users.

I also saw that some other users, up onto 220 Red had similar issues but that some of them resolved these issues.

I inserted the SD card multiple times and did a reset each time it did not read. After about an hour it worked and I could read the SD card.

Started by updating the firmware and I confirmed that the newest firmware was loaded. Last night got the printer to move but no "ink" came out.

I called it a day at 10pm and decided I would start again in the morning.

Today I have the same error as I had in the start and cannot get the SD card to work with the Due board.

The SD card is working perfectly on a laptop as well as a desktop and I have done a full format, not a quick one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ingeneo70
Re: SD card cannot be read by Due
January 24, 2014 04:48AM
Hi Ingeneo70,

I would suggest putting the supplied SD card to a place farthest away and use another (brand) one - hopefully you have one laying around.

Markus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 04:48AM by markbee.

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
January 24, 2014 04:48AM
Ingeneo70,

the SD cards shipped with the early machines just aren't up to the job, you really should just replace it with a branded SD card (Kingston, TDK etc). Mine also worked fine in mac and PC but still caused problems on the duet/ormerod, which went away when I bought a new one. Many people had this problem as you've seen in the forum, and RRP now ship kingston brand with new machines, but if yours is number 70 it will have the problem version.

Ray
January 24, 2014 04:51AM
Don't waste your time as so many others have done (me included) on that dammed SD card - get a new one!
Att: Ian - bite the bullet (it's very crisp) and put a warning on front page!

Erik
January 24, 2014 07:38AM
Hi everyone.

I am at a quite secluded area but I took the trouble to get a new SD card. I can now semi print objects. I seem to have a problem with the "ink" coming out in the right proportions and at the right time.

Thank you for the replies and I hope this doesn't affect too many other users.

Regards
Ingeneo70
January 24, 2014 08:28AM
Ingeneo, you might have hit another snag that's been fixed (partly) - printing over USB with the old firmware, and with an unedited version of pronterface (even with the new firmware I believe), then the prints are blobby, printing from SD card (ie when you upload the gcode file to SD then use SD Print), the extrusion and motor movements synchronise properly and you don't get the blobs. If you ARE printing using USB, then try an SD print for now,

Ray
January 29, 2014 08:53AM
Using the USB cable to do printing atm. The quality is good, the only problem I have is that the 1st layer is sometimes a bit "stringy". I will make another post about this if this continues after I have tried using the SD card to print.
January 30, 2014 06:46AM
Ingeneo70
Hi everyone.

I am at a quite secluded area but I took the trouble to get a new SD card. I can now semi print objects. I seem to have a problem with the "ink" coming out in the right proportions and at the right time.

Thank you for the replies and I hope this doesn't affect too many other users.

Regards
Ingeneo70

I found repositioning the spool so it doesn't do a 90 degree turn improved the feed substantially.
January 30, 2014 12:16PM
Ingeneo70
Using the USB cable to do printing atm. The quality is good, the only problem I have is that the 1st layer is sometimes a bit "stringy". I will make another post about this if this continues after I have tried using the SD card to print.

If you are using the latest firmware then SD print and USB print should give the same results. I found it helpful to change the slic3r settings to increase the number of skirt loops and the separation of the skirt from the print, to ensure the filament is extruding smoothly when the print starts. Also, if you are still using a temperature of 205C, reduce it to something like 198C first layer and 193C after that. This is because the later firmware measures the temperatures more accurately.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login