Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod disconnected

Posted by tru168 
Ormerod disconnected
January 24, 2014 05:19AM
My Ormerod behave strangely since day 1, while waiting for heated bed to reach temperature, or sometime during print, USB connection lost suddenly and I received message as below :

[ERROR] Can't write to printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): write failed: [Errno 6] Device not configured
SENDING:M105
[ERROR] Can't write to printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): write failed: [Errno 6] Device not configured
SENDING:M105

anyone experienced the same ?
Re: Ormerod disconnected
January 24, 2014 05:39AM
Which operating system are you using, and which firmware version? Does the bed continue to heat up, or has the Duet reset itself?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 24, 2014 06:29AM
I think its my OS that can't run Pronterface well. I used latest firmware , and bed did continue heat up. I give up on my Mac, now I'm going to buy a PC ......
January 24, 2014 06:54AM
Ew - have you tried repetier host on the mac? Works great for me.
Ray
January 24, 2014 07:19AM
Also check that your USB connector is properly soldered on the Duet board, and that the plug is fully inserted. The design of those small USB connectors are terrible IMO!

Dave
(#106)
January 24, 2014 10:08AM
Yes, I soldered the USB before I assemble the kit. None of commercial printers / CNC / etc will use micro USB because its not long lasting.
rayhicks : You did mentioned repetier host in previous post, I'm still play around with it to get used to it, I will test print once I figure out how to use it. thanks !
January 24, 2014 10:20AM
tru168
Yes, I soldered the USB before I assemble the kit. None of commercial printers / CNC / etc will use micro USB because its not long lasting.

Micro-USB seems adequate for charging mobile phones, and they get connected/disconnected very frequently over their ~2 year lifetime. But the Duet could just have easily used full-size USB. I'm constructing a wishlist for the next revision of the Duet board, and I'll add full-size USB socket to it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 24, 2014 10:30AM
Sounds like a classic case of interference on the USB causes the port to drop out. You could try a better quality or shorter cable, or fitting ferrites to the cable.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
January 24, 2014 11:39AM
dc42
tru168

Micro-USB seems adequate for charging mobile phones, and they get connected/disconnected very frequently over their ~2 year lifetime. But the Duet could just have easily used full-size USB. I'm constructing a wishlist for the next revision of the Duet board, and I'll add full-size USB socket to it.

[Meldrew mode]
I find the micro-USBs on mobile phones a PITA as well. Difficult to line up (especially in the dark), too easily dislodged and too delicate - I wonder how many phones reach their end-of-life because their USB socket has broken? Phone designers have the excuse that they are constrained by size - with large products there is no excuse for not using a full size socket. Not that the full-size USB "A" connector is a particularly good design IMO as it is not easy to see which way around it plugs in - the full size "B" connector is far better. You can go by the USB logo on the "A" plug for horizontal sockets, but vertical sockets and USB memory sticks are always 50/50 as to whether you have the plug the right way around until you become familiar with the equipment. For goodness' sake - it's only 4 contacts - I've seen many far better miniature plug & socket designs. Another standard dreamed up by a committee I expect.
[/Meldrew mode]

Dave
(#106)
January 24, 2014 05:47PM
@dmould

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 24, 2014 06:12PM
lol Matt
January 24, 2014 10:59PM
I'm waiting for this to arrive,
[www.ebay.com]

I'll plug in the micro USB on duet board and hot glue in place , and drill a hole on the duet casing to install larger printer USB port.

Tested repetier host via SD card this morning, far more stable on my Mac, thanks ! Print from USB still jerky .
January 25, 2014 09:15AM
@tru168: Do you have the latest firmware update on your Duet? And then settings need to be as: [forums.reprap.org]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 25, 2014 09:29AM
@tru168 - try using the settings I use for the printer connection (presuming you have 0.57 or later firmware, which is also necessary for smooth USB printing):

use whatever port yours is connected to of course smiling smiley
The buffer is especially important, set it to 511. dc42 reports that he can use 2000000baud on his pc - on my mac I can't go above the speed indicated without getting errors in printing or copying (at times I need to drop it lower, presumably it's a noise issue which comes and goes but I can't find the source - ferrites don't seem to help either - you may need to use a lower speed too if you get drop-outs or hangs).

I like your USB extender idea, and will probably get one to remove the strain on the board

Ray
January 25, 2014 11:34AM
Hi,

Yes , I flashed duet with latest firmware. Just saw the setting and it works. thanks.

As for USB disconnected randomly, I found that every time I switch on my kitchen lamp , the USB connection drop. I clamp a lot of ferrite rings on USB cable without help. I found that once the connection drop, I click "connect " immediately Ormerod continue printing where it stop.
So I just remind myself and everyone in my house do not switch the kitchen lamp while printing.
January 25, 2014 11:52AM
You may wish to try running the pc and the Ormerod from one surge-protected socket strip.

January 25, 2014 01:13PM
Good idea dc42, shouldn't cost much to try out a surge protection power strip. It could be one of the other units on my estate is running something that's putting surges down the line (nothing's obviously coinciding with the drop outs for me, unlike Ew). If that doesn't work, I've got a 2kW UPS with line conditioning, sadly it's a 110V output so won't work with the supplied PSU, time to get on eBay and buy a single rail one I guesssmiling smiley
January 25, 2014 01:44PM
Check your psu, many of them are either 80-260v universal input, or have a switch or internal jumper to select 110V input.

January 25, 2014 03:11PM
Indeed - I've had a few ATX psu's over the years, but this one has a big sticker saying"230V", no option switch - no big deal though I've probably got an old one lying around, and as you've suggested in other threads, it's probably worth just getting a high power single rail (which tend to be "universal input anyway" ),

Cheers

Ray
January 25, 2014 03:20PM
There may still be a jumper inside, if you don't mind breaking the sticker and voiding the warranty.

January 26, 2014 08:35AM
Does the baud rate setting actually make any difference? If my understanding is correct, the USB driver is designed to "look like" a normal serial port to the calling application, and so contains a baud rate setting (and parity, stop bits etc.) just for compatibility - they don't have any function. The data is sent over the USB at whatever of the standard USB speeds the device has connected at - the speed is negotiated when you plug in the USB connector, sort of similar to how Ethernet negotiates its speed. USB has 4 speeds - 1.2Mbps (low speed), 12Mbps (full speed), 480Mbps (fast speed) and USB3 has 5Gbps (super speed). Protocol and signalling overheads mean that you cannot get anything like a sustained transfer rate of those speeds. I have not looked at the Duet's USB comms - it is quite usual for embedded processors to support only up to full speed (12Mbs), and also common for a PC not to have a full speed drivers installed on some USB ports. Still, it should be plenty fast enough.
January 26, 2014 09:03AM
I don't believe the baud rate setting in Pronterface makes any difference when communicating with the Duet, but I haven't tried low baud rates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 09:03AM by dc42.

January 26, 2014 10:05AM
The baud rate certainly matters with other boards that use a serial to USB chip, like the FTDi chip on the Melzi, as the baud rate is set in the firmware. It is also set in the Duet firmware ( [github.com] line 184). However, I don't know how significant this is, and I've never actually tried changing it with the Duet, and don't have one with me to test!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 26, 2014 02:40PM
droftarts
The baud rate certainly matters with other boards that use a serial to USB chip, like the FTDi chip on the Melzi, as the baud rate is set in the firmware. It is also set in the Duet firmware ( [github.com] line 184). However, I don't know how significant this is, and I've never actually tried changing it with the Duet, and don't have one with me to test!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Sure, a serial to USB chip would be setting the baud rate (and parity etc) of the real serial port it is driving. In this case however there is no real serial port anywhere, the device merely mimics a serial port so that a standard COM port driver can be used. The COM driver does not do anything with the baud rate except pass it to the hardware.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login