SD Card corruption/frying?
February 02, 2014 04:58PM
Hi everyone, my first post and first attempt at building a 3d printer.. I'm 12.5 hours into the 2 hour build winking smiley
and on the commissioning section.

I bought my Ormerod last week and have the green printed parts.

I'm using the Pronterface and upgraded firmware and was testing the nozzle heater at 100C and it was fine, next step was the 200C and whilst it was doing this step - I noticed some smoke from the Duet board coming from the corner near the ethernet port. Thought this was strange, so turned it off.

Turned it all back on again and the SD card was dead.

Got another SD card and put the files onto it and back in, powered up and after a few seconds noticed that the smoke was coming from the SD card slot and this SD card was also frazzled too.

Can't really do any more testing until I buy some more SD cards tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? or know what's happening?

Is it possible to use it without the SD card files present?
Re: SD Card corruption/frying?
February 02, 2014 05:53PM
Unless you have the Kingston SDHC card supplied with very recent kits, the best thing to do with the one supplied is throw it in the bin, and buy a better one. The sort of problem you report is extremely common when you use the SD card supplied.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read your post fully. Seeing smoke from the SD card is a very bad sign, and I haven't heard of it before. It sounds to me that your Duet board is faulty. I suggest you contact RepRapPro and ask for a replacement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 05:56PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: SD Card corruption/frying?
February 17, 2014 07:51AM
An update on my problem in case anyone else has it.

I contacted RepRap support and got a new board and SD card under warranty, after Ian checked all my wiring photos and suspected it may be a short circuit on the SD card slot.
The new replacement board arrived and works fine and I''ve now completed my first test print. smiling smiley

Support from Ian was very good, despite him being ill for a few days - he managed to catch up and email a response to me on a Sunday evening.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login