Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cura vs. Slic3r

Posted by markbee 
Cura vs. Slic3r
March 03, 2014 04:57AM
Just doing some tests with different slicer software in combination with Ormerod and wanted to share some findings.
I tried to keep almost the same settings with both - as far as this is possible. Generally speed is 20mm/s for both, temperatures are also the same (190°C). Printed from the web interface. Material is PLA.

Slic3r (V1.0.0RC2) seems to be better when it comes to solid infill and has less ooze - while Cura (V14.01) makes much finer moves or generates the gcodes more exact (as one can see printing the letters). Generally the Cura prints look much finer than the Slic3r prints.
It's interesting to see, how different slicer software can influence the result, e.g. if you look at the "ak" of "Attraktor" or the difference how "www" is printed.

Slic3r

Cura

Markus

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
Re: Cura vs. Slic3r
March 03, 2014 05:24AM
Hi Markus - have you played with the "expert" setting in cura? Especially the "fix horrible" settings which have a big effect on holes (and the top surface)...

Ray
March 03, 2014 05:41AM
Hi Ray,

I did not tweak the expert settings yet. Maybe increasing the infill overlap might "close" the solid infill better.

Markus

March 03, 2014 09:24AM
I'm now using Cura all the time - far better results than Slic3r. At first it would randomly print layers very slowly, but after re-installing from scratch is has been behaving itself. It was possibly caused by the fact that I initially installed an old version of Cura (which I never used), and then installed a later version without removing the old version. I noticed both were present in the programs list when I uninstalled them prior to re-installing, and I guess that the old version created files or registry entries that messed up the operation of the later version.

Dave
(#106)
KP
March 03, 2014 09:48AM
I've tried Cura once but it appeared to be massively over-extruding. Could someone offer some settings?

Kev.
March 03, 2014 10:15AM
KP
I've tried Cura once but it appeared to be massively over-extruding. Could someone offer some settings?
Kev.

You need a plugin to convert to relative extrusion and also separate the Z moves. Cash has written a plugin and suitable settings for Cura here [forums.reprap.org] - use his download "Cura_Ormerod_V2.4.zip (2.7 Kcool smiley".

The only problem is that Cura keeps removing the plugin whenever you change certain things, so you must ensure the plugin is still active just before creating the G code.

Dave
(#106)
March 03, 2014 03:11PM
I'm solely using cura now. Main reason is that It print support much better than I could get with slic3r.

There's not as many options as slic3r though.

And yes I need to check to make sure the plugin is still active, few times I didn't check and it just spat loads of filament out.
March 04, 2014 06:26PM
Can you share the main settings you used for both programs, that might influence the results a lot? In another thread, for example, we have discovered that the default perimeter settings of Slic3r are not correct. You need to set it to at least the nozzle size + the layer height.
Another example, in the "ak" it is clear to see the thin wall detection of Slic3r in action. Did you not have that setting on for Cura?
March 05, 2014 01:45AM
I used almost the default settings for both slicer and where deviating for both almost the same settings as possible. But thanks for your suggestions, I will check those settings and try to print again.

Markus

March 05, 2014 05:34AM
I have been trying Cura and am using the plugin, Cura_Ormerod_V2.4.zip, however, I have obviously got something wrong in my set up because when I go to print the g file produced by Cura the printer try's to print the whole thing at -X and -Y positions.
I'm not sure if I have the correct machine selected - RepRap, When I check the machine settings they have changed from what I inputted, I'm not even sure that I entered the correct figures in the first place.

Could some kind person explain the setup procedure for Cura and provide all settings please.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
March 05, 2014 07:21AM
Appjaws - in the "machine settings" dialog, you need to untick "Machine center 0,0" which is Cura's default. You can try my ini file if you like (attached)

Cheers

Ray
Attachments:
open | download - cura_settings_rh.ini (4.5 KB)
March 05, 2014 08:49AM
Thanks Ray,
Where do I put the ini file ? --Don't be rude--
Do I rename it as the current_profile. At the moment I have put it in the root Cura's directory --is that correct?
Do I have to load it when cura is running or somehow select it?

You can tell I'm not very experienced with these things.
March 05, 2014 09:28AM
Hi Appjaws, nor am I smiling smiley I use a mac, and on the mac version there's an "Open Profile..." option on the File menu - that should load the settings from the ini file (it certainly works on the mac). Note that I don't have temperatures set in my slicing preferences (on Cura or Slic3r) - since I like to use ABS and PLA on the same print, so I set those manually before I start a print run. My settings also don't have a "wait for temperatures", so use your host to set the temperatures then monitor them until they're right before you hit run,

Cheers

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login