Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

help, printing off bed

Posted by bigben 
help, printing off bed
March 30, 2014 10:59AM
I have been trying to print a stand for my ps4, it is in 2 parts and I arranged it in slic3r so it fits well within the print dimensions but when I start the print it starts halfway across the bed resulting in some of it printing off the bed. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong? any help would be much appreciated
Re: help, printing off bed
March 30, 2014 12:02PM
It's very hard to say what went wrong without seeing your STL and gcode files. I assume you homed all the axes before starting the print?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 30, 2014 12:05PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes I went through the same procedure as I normally do, this is the first large object I have tried to print though so I'm using more of the bed, It just keeps printing off to one side. I'll see if I can get the files uploaded.
March 30, 2014 12:21PM
This is the STL I downloaded from thingiverse and the first part of the G-code I generated in slic3r.
Attachments:
open | download - PS4_STAND.stl (5.7 KB)
open | download - ps4stand gcode.rtf (3 KB)
March 30, 2014 12:41PM
That gcode looks ok to me, it prints from X49 to X174 and from Y13 to Y186. Those ranges should be on the bed. However, for large prints in the X-direction, bear in mind that the centre of the bed isn't at X=100, it's more like X=120 depending on your build. So you should measure where it is and put that in the slic3r Printer->Bed centre setting.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 30, 2014 12:46PM
Ok thanks, I'll have a look
March 30, 2014 12:56PM
the print centre in slic3r is set at X100 Y100, looks like this is the problem. thanks for your help, I've been scratching my head over this for a couple of hours now
March 31, 2014 09:55AM
Cura does not allow changes to the bed center position, so I run a small G file as follows:

G1 X112 Y91.4
G92 X90 Y0

Substitute your actual bed center for the X & Y values. My Y position is off because I moved my Z pillar to provide more clearance between the fan backwash deflector and the Duet enclosure (it still reaches the edge of the bed OK).

When slicing large prints, don't forget to change the "skirt" parameters so that it does not attempt to print the skirt off the bed.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login