Designing a protector for the proximity sensor as it will crash and burn the board
March 31, 2014 12:05AM
Designing a protector for the proximity sensor as it will crash and burn the board. will it generate heat or something? if i just design a thin layer of abs to cover it should be more safer?
Hi antlvk,
I've put two layers of adhesive tape over the exposed sensor pins.
You can use all other insulating materials.

Roberto

RS Ormerod #117
Re: Designing a protector for the proximity sensor as it will crash and burn the board
March 31, 2014 04:17AM
Hi antvlk,

For users of my sensor board, I provide this design for an insulating cover [github.com] (source file is [github.com]). You could adapt the design (i.e. make is smaller) to fit the original sensor board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Designing a protector for the proximity sensor as it will crash and burn the board
March 31, 2014 09:22PM
Thanks dc42.

I think reprappro should put it as standard to cover that part instead of just a warning.
April 01, 2014 10:16AM
The prox sensor will only kill the Duet board when it hits the clips if the aluminium plate is touching the heater connectors - which can usually only happen if you have the aluminium fitted the wrong way around. It is far better to drill a hole in the aluminium for the bed thermistor and fit the plate underneath the bed heater PCB. There are three reason why this is better: 1) it makes the bed a little more stable. (2) it is not possible to fit the plate the wrong way around and (3) the plate is not on the heating element side of the heater PCB and so insulated from 12V by the fibreglass board rather than only a solder resist coating.

Dave
(#106)
I use my cover with the original probe..... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I'll add a picture later...
But here is a picture of one of my covers, made and fitted by someone called 'Sampling' on Thingiverse.
(I actualy made the cover to fit on the Fan-Duct, but it also fits in the original position).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2014 01:01PM by KimBrown.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
April 01, 2014 01:10PM
For anyone worried about killing their Duet board because of this issue, I recommend the following:

1. Make sure the aluminium heat spreader is the right way round i.e. not shorting to one of the heated bed connections. This is the most important step.

2. Replace the foldback clips with picture frame clips, which are less likely to short against the IR sensor. See [forums.reprap.org] and the rest of that thread.

3. Put some insulating tape over the IR sensor connections at the bottom of the sensor circuit board, or print and fit an insulating cover for it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login