Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pronterface stopping

Posted by parper101 
Re: pronterface stopping
April 16, 2014 07:15AM
Glad it's working for you. The standard Duet board has poor tolerance tp power supply brownout. I added a capacitor to mine to improve it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 17, 2014 12:33AM
Thanks for the tip! Where did you install the capacitor?
April 17, 2014 03:57AM
parper101
Thanks for the tip! Where did you install the capacitor?

It's 470uF (but 1000uF would have been better) in parallel with C3.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 17, 2014 12:02PM
Hello all,

After two weeks of struggling with the RepRap Ormerod, I have the same problem since yesterday. I have made some really nice prints already, but each time, I encounter new challenges to solve... I wonder if this is the right solution to have a 3D printer to make prototypes. It seems more and more that it is a gadget that needs a lot of attention...

Nevertheless, I have read this thread and a solution seems nearby!

I only have two problems:
- I can't find the 57y firmware -> Where can I find this?
- I don't have another PSU -> Tim, I will ask RS components if they can fix this and then we will have the answer to your question also!

It's a cool thing, but it can get pretty frustrating. So many small (but blocking) things that could have been avoided with some minor adaptations.

PS: What is weird, is that my Ormerod stops at exactly the same place each time it blocks (depending on the part off course). Is there a test software to see if my gCode doesn't contain an error? (already rebuild it different times...)? I have also already made prints of 7-8 hours which gave absolutely no problem and came out perfectly (except some blobs :-))

All help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Philip
April 17, 2014 01:24PM
After some reading, I found the following quote:

dmould
To try to reduce the amount & effect, you can try increasing the retraction speed, and/or tick the "wipe on retract" box in Slic3r that tries to move the nozzle out of the way quickly before a blob is created. If you do the latter however, be sure to install DC42's latest firmware - earlier versions had a bug that would cause the steppers to miss steps when retracting with "wipe on retract" set. Slowing down the print speed also helps reduce the effect - especially on small perimeters (slic3r allows you to set a different speed for small perimeters).

When thinking about the printer stopping, it stopped each time at the same place (don't know if it was also the same layer). Ans it is the place where the wiping happens. As this is a feature I just enabled, this could be the cause. What do you think? Apparently DC's new firmware also solves this :-) and I still haven't found it. Can somebody direct me to that?

Kind regards,

Philip
April 17, 2014 01:52PM
PhilipTheMobster
After some reading, I found the following quote:

dmould
To try to reduce the amount & effect, you can try increasing the retraction speed, and/or tick the "wipe on retract" box in Slic3r that tries to move the nozzle out of the way quickly before a blob is created. If you do the latter however, be sure to install DC42's latest firmware - earlier versions had a bug that would cause the steppers to miss steps when retracting with "wipe on retract" set. Slowing down the print speed also helps reduce the effect - especially on small perimeters (slic3r allows you to set a different speed for small perimeters).

When thinking about the printer stopping, it stopped each time at the same place (don't know if it was also the same layer). Ans it is the place where the wiping happens. As this is a feature I just enabled, this could be the cause. What do you think? Apparently DC's new firmware also solves this :-) and I still haven't found it. Can somebody direct me to that?

Kind regards,

Philip

Use his latest at [github.com]
Click the "raw" button to download.

Dave
(#106)
April 17, 2014 03:01PM
Thanks Dave! After some tries with the 0.57zb, I still couldn't connect to my Ormerod again. I tried the 0.57y version (still beter then the a smiling smiley )

Printing started again. In exactly 1h43min I will know if this solved the problem!

--> PROBLEM SOLVED: after upgrading to 0.57y (thanks DC42 and Dave!!!) the print came out perfectly.

PS: My automatic bed leveling is also improved! the probe takes some kind of slower measurement when approaching the right height resulting in better leveling! RepRap should definitely take this version as their default installation firmware!!!

Kind regards,

Philip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 02:06AM by PhilipTheMobster.
April 19, 2014 03:48AM
Hi all, On closer investigation when my print stops and when I have Gcode debug running the stop always happens after the exicusion line has been sent to the printer and computor is waiting for the received OK echo, and no matter what I try to do, i.e pause print, resume, reset or enter code manually all that happens is a constant string of "sending M105" until the program stops responding altogether. I am at at a total loss as the machine has been working fine for a couple of months and as far as I know no settings have changed.
April 19, 2014 03:57AM
papakel
Hi all, On closer investigation when my print stops and when I have Gcode debug running the stop always happens after the exicusion line has been sent to the printer and computor is waiting for the received OK echo, and no matter what I try to do, i.e pause print, resume, reset or enter code manually all that happens is a constant string of "sending M105" until the program stops responding altogether. I am at at a total loss as the machine has been working fine for a couple of months and as far as I know no settings have changed.

Can you confirm you're using at least the 57y firmware from DC42 by sending an M115? Also, try a different power supply if you can. Mine was found to have one of the crimped wires insufficiently attached (crushed) so it was just touching. Brownouts cause glitches with the Arduino. DC42 has put a capacitor in to try to limit the deficiencies of the arduino board (see post in this thread). The combination of these two fixes made mine work perfectly, except i have one brand new/defunct power supply sitting in front of me.

Since i made these fixes, a months worth of disappointment has vanished. My printer has been working from 5 am to 11 at night for a couple days now without fail. This is a big difference from not being able to print a single part. There are heaps of suggestings in this post for you to try to isolat the problem from the SD card, web interface, power flux issues, re-routing power on the duet, firmware, power supply checks, etc.

I know it's frusttrating. I can but encourage you to keep going, eliminating the variables one at a time. It wlil get solved eventually.
I've asked Ian (tech support) how to go about getting a new one, but it is easter weekend.
April 20, 2014 05:22AM
Hi Parper101,
I sent the 115 command and the reply i recieved was "SENDING:M115
FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:[www.mendel-parts.com] PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Mendel EXTRUDER_COUNT:1" so I suppose that I am not running the suggested so as a novice how do I go about upgrading???. Sorry for being athickhead but if I don't ask I wont get. thanks for the reply anyway
April 20, 2014 05:30AM
Hi papakel, if you are running Marlin firmware then you have neither Duet electronics nor an Ormerod printer, so you are on the wrong forum. I suggest you try the forum specific to whichever 3d printer you have (Mendel, according to the firmware message).

April 20, 2014 02:09PM
Hi all, thanks for all your suggestions all of which are valued but I think I have stumbled across the problem, I have installed a small fan to cool the circuit board and stepper drivers this is also powered by the power supply so I wrapped the fan flex three times around a ferrite ring and the printer has completed two jobs in succession without a fault. We all need a bit of luck sometime.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login