Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-axis binding

Posted by tracyj 
Z-axis binding
April 25, 2014 12:52PM
Has anyone had any issues with their Z-axis binding resulting in skipped steps? I have almost all of my problems solved, but I get this intermittent binding of the Z-rod. It happens more often when I'm printing something tall, obviously because there is more opportunity for it to occur. I printed Kim Brown's Big Blue the other evening, and the top half inch of it looked like cottage cheese from being compressed. I have cleaned up the gears, and even printed a set of Iamburny's double helix gears. I also hear a grinding sound sometimes that I believe was coming from the Z-rod and nut. The rod threads are cut pretty rough, and the nut does not ride terribly smooth on it. The nut did bind on the rod sometimes. I chucked up the rod in a drill, and used steel wool to attempt to clean out the threads. I also used a 5mm tap and die to chase out the threads in the nut and rod. I also noticed that there were metal shavings scattered on the top of the z motor mount and motor. I used some silicone spray lubricant, and it seemed to help a bit, but then last night I printed out ashsoft2000's bed support, when it was on about the last 5mm of the print. It's so irritating, and I'm getting very frustrated. I thought I saw that somebody had used a nylon nut. I would appreciate any suggestions. I've also searched the forum, but couldn't find anything on this topic.

Thanks
Tracy
Re: Z-axis binding
April 25, 2014 02:01PM
Hi Tracy,
Some time ago it was suggested that the nut be changed for a brass long nut from ebay. I did this and also change the rod for stainless steel and I must say that I have not had any problems in the Z direction. I can't remember the thread but id would have been early Feb - Re: z- axis nut (long brass) Important Update!
February 02, 2014 09:49PM .

Hope that helps.

Bye the way did you ever deepen the enclosure? If so could you post the stl or scad files. Thanks
Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
April 25, 2014 02:05PM
Keep the rod oiled with something like 3-in-1 oil etc, this helps a lot but not if it's worn already.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
April 25, 2014 02:05PM
I have seen z axis binding caused by two different things:

1. Using very old firmware that didn't correctly handle z moves before/after extruder-only moves;

2. My z-gears were too tight at one stage, leading to missed steps. With the Ormerod powered down, check that you can rotate the z screw easily through a full rotation.

Also:

3. Don't forget to lubricate the Z screw with light machine oil.

4. If the screw and nut show any signs of binding, get a new Z screw and nut. I use a hardened steel screw and a brass nut. The idea is that the nut wears in preference to the screw, and is easy to replace.

5. I suggest you don't increase the Z acceleration or Z max speed above the default. You might even consider reducing the Z max speed.

6. Make sure the Z nut sits squarely in the Z nut trap, otherwise you will get increased wear and more chance of binding.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 25, 2014 03:53PM
I had the same kind of problems.

I replaced the threaded rod and nut withe the following two items from ebay:
[www.ebay.co.uk]
[www.ebay.co.uk]

The rod was lubricated with some unspecified grease,

It has worked perfectly since the upgrade - and the threaded rod is much more straight than the RS-supplied rod.

Best regards,

Carsten
April 26, 2014 10:29AM
Thanks everyone for the advise. I have ordered a new long brass nut, and a new stainless steel rod. I couldn't find a supplier of the nut in the U.S., so I ordered the suggested one from ebay in the U.K. which means a longer wait. sad smiley

Thanks
Tracy
April 26, 2014 10:33AM
Paul,

I'm not sure which enclosure you are talking about. Do you mean the Duet enclosure? I would like to see a deeper one with a better fitting lid, and skip the spool holder. I would also like to see a larger opening where the SD card is, so that I get get the card in and out without using a very tiny screwdriver.

Thanks
Tracy
April 26, 2014 11:48AM
Hi Tracy, yes it is the duet enclosure.
I thought you said in a previous thread that you were going to modify the existing one to be deeper etc.
Perhaps I re-remembered.
If you haven't done it yet perhaps I'll have a go at designing one from scratch.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
April 26, 2014 03:26PM
My Z axis moves sometimes when I'm travel...(The printer clocks up around 1200 miles a month in the car)..
I only realised when I print some of IamBurnys gear, and they were horrible....
When I took them off and meshed them I realised there was an angle, and then checked my z axis with the square and found it way out.
I put it back to where it was supposed to be ans got perfect gears which are working really well.
I also found that I'd over tightend the side bearing which was twisting the X axis so much that the bottom of the motor mount was catching on the z axis motor by a fraction. I slackened it off abit, and all is fine now.

I keep meaning to make a 45' bracket for the z axis to keep it alined.... I might do it tomorrow...

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
April 26, 2014 04:27PM
KimBrown
My Z axis moves sometimes when I'm travel...

Thank you for bringing this up, the assembly documentation say 12mm but that is way too long and will make the z-corner-bracket float instead of supporting the z-axis

..and on the other side of the extrusion, no support from the printed part at the top where you really want it, I did insert a spacer there

with no support at the top, the z-foot only act as a hinge

Erik
April 27, 2014 07:10AM
I had a similar problem and found the hot end, extruder and/ or fan cables were rubbing against the threaded z axis rod. This rubbing detritus fell into the threads and buggered the threads up. This was happening continuously so no amount of cleaning or oil solved the problem. Ultimately I put a giant flexible twist tie over the top of the z axis to hold the cables out of the way and it has worked well ever since.

Hopefully this helps in some way.

Green Machine - slowly becoming multicoulored!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login