Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recovering prints

Posted by VortyZA 
Recovering prints
June 18, 2014 10:59AM
Someone mentioned being able to recover a print that failed for some reason. I can't find the message though. Is there a file or something that keeps track of where in the gcode the printer was when the power cycled or whatever?
Re: Recovering prints
June 18, 2014 02:32PM
VortyZA
Someone mentioned being able to recover a print that failed for some reason. I can't find the message though. Is there a file or something that keeps track of where in the gcode the printer was when the power cycled or whatever?

You may be thinking of someone who was also asking whether there is any way to recover a print by rewinding to a particular line. I do not believe that there is any practical way to do such a thing in most circumstances. If you know exactly what line in the file to return to, you could simply edit the G code file in a text editor and delete everything between the start code (that sets the temperatures) and Z command that moves to the layer in question - then delete from that Z move to the line you want to start from, then print that edited file.

Dave
(#106)
June 18, 2014 02:38PM
dmould
VortyZA

You may be thinking of someone who was also asking whether there is any way to recover a print by rewinding to a particular line. I do not believe that there is any practical way to do such a thing in most circumstances. If you know exactly what line in the file to return to, you could simply edit the G code file in a text editor and delete everything between the start code (that sets the temperatures) and Z command that moves to the layer in question - then delete from that Z move to the line you want to start from, then print that edited file.

Dave
(#106)

Thanks Dave,

That occurred to me too - I think my Prusa outputs a 'x of y bytes' message to the laptop which would allow me to trim the file as long as it's not been airprinting of course!
Not sure if the Ormerod does that or something similar?

The question is moot however because the power was cycled so the bed was switched off and the print happily detached itself before I could try save it. The laptop also crashed, so I suppose it just was not meant to be sad smiley
June 18, 2014 02:50PM
VortyZA
dmould
VortyZA

Dave
(#106)

Thanks Dave,

That occurred to me too - I think my Prusa outputs a 'x of y bytes' message to the laptop which would allow me to trim the file as long as it's not been airprinting of course!
Not sure if the Ormerod does that or something similar?

The question is moot however because the power was cycled so the bed was switched off and the print happily detached itself before I could try save it. The laptop also crashed, so I suppose it just was not meant to be sad smiley

If the printer power cycled you have pretty much zero chance even if you manage to repower and set the bed temperature fast enough to stop the print detaching, because the XY axis is unlikely to zero to exactly the same place. If you want to try it though, measuring the height of the aborted print with a digital or vernier calliper should be accurate enough to bring you to the correct layer in the G code, and then either print from that layer again if the perimeters had not yet printed, or print from the next layer up if the perimeters had already printed (missing infill won't matter too much).

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login