Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r new cut feature??

Posted by 88Zombies 
Slic3r new cut feature??
June 30, 2014 06:46AM
I've just updated my slic3r... there is now an option that wasn't on my previous version, a "view/cut" (shown in image attached)

However this doesn't seem to work as I'd expect. and can't find any in depth tutorials.

I select "keep" and tick the 'lower part' (no tick in 'upper part')...
when I then click "Perform Cut" it simply duplicates my imported STL

any one else tried this yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 06:55AM by 88Zombies.
Attachments:
open | download - 230_slic3r_cut.png_large.jpg (111.5 KB)
Re: Slic3r new cut feature??
June 30, 2014 08:48AM
Hi, I just had a quick chat with Sound, the Slic3r developer, and he thinks it isn't quite working in 1.1.5. Wait for an update...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
June 30, 2014 09:34AM
Ah thanks Ian,
this would be a really usefull feature! excited.
July 07, 2014 08:11AM
Solved.

New update has fixed the issue. What an amazing feature!!!! smiling smiley
July 07, 2014 11:22AM
I've just tried the latest version. Unfortunately it is still ridiculously slow with prints that are more than a very small fraction of the print area taking almost as long to slice as they take to print. It is frustrating to have to wait an extra day to slice a design, but when slicing times are in excess of 6 hours it is usually only practical to start the print the following day. Which means that I use Cura for all my larger designs - Cura took less than a minute to slice a design that took Slic3r nearly 7 hours, so Slic3r has some serious code efficiency problem somewhere. While the new feature could occasionally be useful, it is not that much effort to cut an STL using another tool and then slice the modified STL. It can be done in OpenScad, for example.

Dave
(#106)
July 08, 2014 09:56AM
As mentioned in other threads, the checkbox "Avoid crossing perimeters" causes Slic3r to often be horrendously slow. With that unchecked, I have never really had any performance problems with Slic3r (complex things might take a few minutes, but not more).
July 08, 2014 12:13PM
jstck
As mentioned in other threads, the checkbox "Avoid crossing perimeters" causes Slic3r to often be horrendously slow. With that unchecked, I have never really had any performance problems with Slic3r (complex things might take a few minutes, but not more).

I had thought I had removed that checkbox, but I've just looked and it has crept back in somehow. You are correct - with that checked an STL took 6 hours to slice yesterday. Tried again after unchecking and the same STL took 45 seconds. Seems to be a bit of a misfeature.

Dave
(#106)
July 08, 2014 12:21PM
Same here, I've never had slic3r take more than a few minutes. I never use 'avoid crossing perimeters' or 'wipe on retract', although from other posts I think the latter is safe to use now.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 08, 2014 02:41PM
dmould
I had thought I had removed that checkbox, but I've just looked and it has crept back in somehow. You are correct - with that checked an STL took 6 hours to slice yesterday. Tried again after unchecking and the same STL took 45 seconds. Seems to be a bit of a misfeature.

Depending on what you are printing, there are cases where that feature might be very useful. If you have a filament that is "drooling" a lot and/or you can't do retract, and you need best possible perimeter quality, it could serve a purpose. In most cases though it won't matter the least. It would be helpful though if Slic3r had some kind of warning label about how slow it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login