Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Faulty Power supply?

Posted by swalker 
Faulty Power supply?
July 29, 2014 06:53AM
Hi, first time posting although I have been lurking for a while now!

I have had my Ormerod for about 6 months now and have had no trouble at all, until now.

I have bee running since about day 10 on just PLA direct to glass and its been working great, Bed Temp 65 and PLA temp 190.
I am using direct print via Pronterface

In the last day I have had issues where the motors, bed and hot end will just stop, no apparent power, the controller is still running. The Fan on the power supply is still on but no power is coming through. If I cycle the power and turn the BED heater OFF then its comes back immediately and runs fine.

If I switch back on the bed it may run for a few mins but will stop again.

I can run it constantly with no bed heater on, or constantly with no hot end on. Both on and its cutting out.

What I am looking for is some guidance on where to look, power?, Bed?, heater?. I have a fairly good understanding of the electronics and have muti-meter etc to hand if there is something specific I can check.
When its running the power reading at the bed terminals is 10.56 volts, at the 12 V input terminals (when running ) is 11.2
With nothing running (expect the fan) its 12.1
Re: Faulty Power supply?
July 29, 2014 07:01AM
i had the same problem. try tightening up the screws on both ends of the 12v power wires.
Re: Faulty Power supply?
July 29, 2014 08:17AM
Possibly tempting fate here but, I checked and they were not lose at all, good tight connection!

However in the interest of never ignoring experience and good advise, I took the lead off and re installed , tightening it down good.

Been printing for 25 minuted now with no power loss..

Im surprised and happy so far that this worked, even though it didnt appear lose in any way! eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 08:33AM by swalker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login