Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Insulator question

Posted by muggi 
Insulator question
August 04, 2014 10:54AM
Hi,

i search for a better insulator for my hot end and think i will make a insulator from a 5mmm PTFE plate. Is PTFE a better insulator for mounting between the aluminium cooling block and the noozle mount?

greetings
Re: Insulator question
August 05, 2014 12:32PM
My thoughts are you should stick to the MDF insulator. It's cheap easily cut, and very good at it's job as is. I would have said there was more heat conducted by the 3mm allen screws than transfered via the MDF insulator myself.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
August 05, 2014 02:38PM
I´ll try it.

I trying to build a insulator for the 2 noozle heatsink aluminium block. But it is very tricky because the walls on the holes are so thin..... 2 tries.... 2 breaking boards....
August 05, 2014 03:06PM
muggi
I trying to build a insulator for the 2 noozle heatsink aluminium block. But it is very tricky because the walls on the holes are so thin..... 2 tries.... 2 breaking boards....

From my blog entry on the 2-nozzle conversion at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]:

The MDF tends to break if you drill holes in it close to the edges, so I found it easier to drill the holes in an oversized piece of MDF and then cut off the excess using a junior hacksaw.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 06, 2014 03:36AM
I used an ice cream sucker stick! smiling smiley
August 06, 2014 05:30PM
Oh, perfect suggestion, Lollipop sticks, I would never have thought of that one.
Nice excuse to get one from the freezer smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login