Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about setting Z axis to zero button.

Posted by sevenljy 
Question about setting Z axis to zero button.
August 07, 2014 04:01AM
Every time I want to print a object, I have to set the X axis, Y axis and Z axis to zero. When I set X and Y axis to zero, it works normally. When I want to set the Z axis to zero, I must set the Z axis manually. I find it is inconvenient to do so. Can I have any idea about setting the Z axis to zero automaticlly? Thanks for your help. I use the 059e-dc42 Firmware and 0.81 Web Control interface
Re: Question about setting Z axis to zero button.
August 07, 2014 05:54AM
Are you saying that you use X homing and Y homing, but not Z homing? Or you do use Z homing, but it is giving you inconsistent results?

Getting Z homing to work reliably means either using the standard IR Z probe within its limitations (i.e. protect it from bright sunlight and strong incandescent light, and make sure that the head angle remains constant), or using a better Z probe such as my differential IR one.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 08, 2014 08:01AM
Personally after a print I just zero X and Y then set Z to 5, that way when I turn the printer back on the next day I just send the G code to manually set x0 y0 z5.

It doesn't help for initial config, but I've had no problems so far.

If I haven't used the printer in a while I do double check though just to make sure it did stay at 5.
August 20, 2014 10:39PM
The standard IR Z probe? Could you tell me where the standard IR Z probe is? Is the probe which sends ABS/PLA material?
August 21, 2014 02:19AM
sevenljy
Could you tell me where the standard IR Z probe is?

It's the little circuit board that sits on the side of the X carriage (to one side of the hotend assembly), with a 3-wire connection to the Duet. Mentioned here, called "proximity sensor". If that isn't set up properly, neither X nor Z homing will work as it should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 02:20AM by jstck.
August 21, 2014 08:54AM
cannibalistic_cow
Personally after a print I just zero X and Y then set Z to 5, that way when I turn the printer back on the next day I just send the G code to manually set x0 y0 z5.

It doesn't help for initial config, but I've had no problems so far.

If I haven't used the printer in a while I do double check though just to make sure it did stay at 5.

That's probably OK most of the time, but bear in mind that a stepper motor can move a step either way when first powered. It takes very little time to check the Z zero height with a sheet of paper compared with the time needed to re-start a print after starting with an incorrect Z height.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login