Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wi-Fi capable ormerod?

Posted by moameen 
Wi-Fi capable ormerod?
August 13, 2014 03:05PM
Hi guys, so lately I've been thinking of a way to make my printer work independently from my laptop. I have been following dc's thread on an LCD and that made me think of something a little different, not cheaper though. This is the idea I came up withspinning smiley sticking its tongue out, don't really know how all the technical bits and interfacing would work out if at all. Firstly the printer would need Wi-Fi capabilities. A beagleboard or raspberry pi running android/Linux and chrome/chromium browser hooked up to a screen will provide the web interface currently in use. These board's would also need Wi-Fi capabilities so that some form of Wi-Fi direct connection can take place, or alternatively direct connection with Ethernet cable/usb. Seems like a lot, but cool nevertheless I think!

If that is too much, what about just having a Wi-Fi capable ormerod?
Re: Wi-Fi capable ormerod?
August 13, 2014 03:21PM
Using a RPi hooked up to a screen and some sort of input device and running a browser would certainly be one way of controlling an Ormerod, but as you say, more expensive than the TFT screen + controls I am working on. For a low-cost solution, you can buy a wireless Ethernet bridge for upwards of about GBP19 to make your Ormerod accessible via WiFi, and then use a smartphone or tablet to control it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 14, 2014 03:09PM
I ordered myself a RPi from RS today as I have a spare laptop size HD monitor that's just been lying around. A wireless Ethernet bridge and wireless adapter for the RPi might just be what I need to tidy things up a bit also. I'll just have to wait and see if the web interface works on the RPi.
August 15, 2014 05:38PM
That's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut! It's easier done with an ethernet to wireless LAN bridge. Tony Lock wrote up a method of adding wifi here: [blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
August 16, 2014 01:16AM
So I setup my RPi yesterday and managed to control my printer via the chromium browser. Working ok, just a bit slow to load the interface.
August 16, 2014 02:55PM
I think this is probably the simplest way to do it if you just want wifi:

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Cheers

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
August 16, 2014 02:59PM
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login