Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Missing perimeters

Posted by muggi 
Missing perimeters
August 21, 2014 12:33PM
Hi,

at the moment i have problems with my prints. Random in the print i have missing perimeters.... is this a extruder issue? i have spring loaded extruders and i have already tried a lot of tensioning the spring screw in a few tight and loose positions.

Here a picture of my current print:

Re: Missing perimeters
August 21, 2014 02:35PM
I had something similar happen, due to a blocked nozzle causing issues with feeding. I had it happen a while back due to some shavings from the bowden tube getting stuck in there, and recently because I managed to overheat and melt the PTFE liner inside the hotend. No matter what tension I had in the spring-loaded extruder (or with the regular one), it would start slipping and the hobbed insert would grind through the filament and stop feeding altogether.

If it is just some dirt and small things stuck in there, you can try pushing some filament in to melt it, and then pulling it back out, which can capture the foreign objects. Cut a little bit of the filament off, and repeat a couple of times. Easiest done by hand (remove the bowden tube from the extruder, or even from the hotend). If that doesn't help and you can't find any issues with the extruder drive, you might have to take the hotend apart and try to clean it out.
August 21, 2014 03:21PM
Hi jstk,

thanks for your hints. How can i clean it out?
August 21, 2014 06:22PM
As I mentioned, if it is just some dirt or ptfe shavings or something, you might be able to get them out by inserting and retracting the filament (melting it and trying to have it "grab stuff"). I had overheated my hotend badly (from having the thermistor pop out of the heater block) and badly damaged the PTFE liner, but I just took it out, scraped the inside of the nozzle carefully with a drill bit, and put a new liner in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login