Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Copyright Infringment

Posted by KimBrown 
Copyright Infringment
August 22, 2014 09:38PM
For sometime I have helped the Ormerod community by allowing my designs to be freely downloaded via ThingyVerse.
Unfortunately a number of my designs have been copied, and either placed on ThingyVerse as thier own design, or sold on Ebay.
At least two have been sold commercialy, without any referance to my design, or payment for thier use commercialy.
As I've had n reply from my complaints to ThingyVerse, I no long see any reason to allow others to prosper from my designs.
As I now produce commercial items of my own design, I have decided to pull all the designs off of ThingyVerse.
I'm sorry but it is the case of a few spoiling it for the many.

Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: Copyright Infringment
August 23, 2014 03:30AM
Sad to hear that.

In my experience on the internet, this is ubiquitous and in some cases by the biggest names in the business.

For the most brazen see Elisha Gray Even the American patent office seems to have been in on this one! telephone inventor Controversy.

I've had loads of stuff ripped off. I used to try go after the culprits but realised its just a waste of my valuable time. These days I prefer to spend my time getting more of my own great ideas realised. It just makes me realise how lucky I am to be so darned creative spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I feel a bit sorry for those that copy and pretend its all their own work. Must be because they just dont have the creativity!

Anyway, if you do copy, then please take a moment to give Proper honest attribution to the original authors(s)!

And if you do put stuff up, ( and its good!) expect to have it ripped off without attribution by some saddo claiming its all their own work!

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
August 23, 2014 04:45AM
I have seen others have the same problem, things being copied without the attribution required by the license (the vast majority of things there being licensed under CC BY-SA). However, I do think taking the original things down is the wrong way to go about the problem. It does nothing to change the fact that the non-attributed copies are there, and it makes them be visible as "the only ones", making them seem as the original item. It might also make Thingiverse less likely/able to help you out, if you can't clearly show that your original item is there and is earlier.

In the case of copies on Thingiverse, I think a more reasonable way of doing it would be to just leave a non-hostile comment saying something like "this thing is a copy of my design, can you please provide the attribution required under the licensing terms". That also leaves at least some reference back to your design if you just link to it in the comment.
August 24, 2014 04:41AM
Had the same problem a while ago, someone started copying my project log from a forum and publishing it as his ( confused smiley ).
Flooded the forum with link to my original log and the the copycat page was taken down.
I wasnt very pissed, I just took it as a "I love your work so much that I wish I was good enough to make it by myself!" So I took it as a compliment tongue sticking out smiley Still, it was something not commercial at all so I can see why you are a bit more upset.
Edit: just to clarify, it was not on this forum and not 3d printing related

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 04:42AM by Ludo91.
August 24, 2014 05:46AM
Hi Kim,
what was copied?
Links please...
I have tried on Thing... probably not enough... on ebay too
Anyway thanks for your valuable contribution....

Regards
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login