Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slic3r adding way too many retractions

Posted by 88Zombies 
slic3r adding way too many retractions
September 01, 2014 07:10AM
I have created a single wall 0.5mm in width for support.
the only issue is when it comes to slice the wall, the gcode adds a VAST number of retractions.
'Image 1' shows the gcode first creates the wobbly wall fine....
'Image 2' shows how after printing the wobbly wall, the printer will then retract repeatidly over the section... this really increases the print time (by about 2 hours overall)

why is this? the file was created on sketchup so I'm assuming it may have something to do with the vectors of the curve, but the slicing works fine with other curves in the model. (there were no errors found in the STL when creating the gcode).

Any help much appreciated! smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - 1.JPG (15.7 KB)
open | download - 2.JPG (17.3 KB)
Re: slic3r adding way too many retractions
September 01, 2014 07:25AM
What did you use to create the first bit of gcode that was fine? I don't think it's the retractions itself that are "wrong", but the fact that it seems to chop the wall up into several segments instead of printing as one continuous line. Might have something to do with the model being slightly more or less than 0.5mm wide (which also depends on "at what angle" you measure it).

In any case, this should probably go here, since it is not specific to any printer type, but to Slic3r.
September 01, 2014 09:08AM
Sounds like a possible rounding issue to me.. Have you tried making the wall .55 or .6 wide?
That was what I ended up doing when Cura and Kisslicer were either ignoring the wall entirely or were making little segments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 09:10AM by VortyZA.
September 03, 2014 06:26AM
thank you both.

Yes i believe it may be because of the wall thickness in relation to the angle of slicing...
the wall was 0.5mm wide but formed an enclosed hexagon.

When I rotated the model the same issue occurred but in different places...

i tried reducing to .3mm, the same issue occurred in almost the exact same places....
September 03, 2014 06:45AM
I believe the actual extruded filament width is more like .6mm wide because it comes out of a .5mm hole, but is pressed up against the previous layer, so in order to respect the outside dimensions the slicers I've tried would rather not slicer a wall thinner than that - even when aligned to the slicer direction.
Occasionally parts of the wall would be sliced, but I think that's more likely to be a rounding error when checking the width of the wall at that position.
You milage may vary however! smiling smiley
September 03, 2014 07:27AM
Your not alone here... I have that very same issue. It produces the item fine, but will stop and start on straight walls for no good reason.
The problem then is it leaves a small pip that I need to remove with either the end of my ruler, or nail.. Worst case is on some items I end up with a rib forming where it's constantly pausing or retracting, then carries on...
It's annoying more than anything.

BTW I tried setting the shortest distance to move without retraction to 10mm... Big mistake.... It did the rounded corners off great, but would then move diagonaly across them leaving a thin trail at 45'. So.......... I tried going the other way 0.3mm seems okish at the moment. But it's wasting printing time with constant retracts.
If anyone has a setup file for Curra or Kisslicer it would help me out alot.... Thanks...

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login