Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice needed

Posted by Grobi 
Advice needed
October 05, 2014 07:37AM
Hi there,

i´m a guy from germany an completly new to 3d printing. But i´ve decidet to get my first printer assembled by my own hands. But i´m not shure, wich kit i should buy.
I can get either an Ormerod 1 for 500€ or an Ormerod 2 for 635€. So which one would you buy? Are the improvements of the MK2 worth the additional 135 bucks?

Thanks for your advice,

regards

Grobi
Re: Advice needed
October 05, 2014 07:51AM
I am printing with my Ormerod1 the parts for my Ormerod2 kit. It seems they improved the design and incorporated most of the user upgrades the community added. The IR sensor was a major flaw in the original design and I upgraded mine to the new sensor.

My recommendation would be to get the Ormerod2, but I have not finished building mine yet.

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
October 05, 2014 03:18PM
The most significant advantages of the Ormerod 2 are improved bed support, better power supply, and reduced EMI to gain CE approval. If you get the Ormerod 1, then I suggest you budget for getting this aluminium bed support [www.ebay.co.uk]. If you want to print ABS on an Ormerod 1, you may need to upgrade the power supply.

The Ormerod 2 also comes with a modulated proximity sensor instead of the unmodulated sensor of the Ormerod 1; however the one I sell is even better smiling smiley.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 05, 2014 03:53PM
Thanks for your opinnions.

so it is possible to upgrade the MK1 with your alu-bed-support for less then 20€. Perhaps there is one of your aluminium-X-arms left (for how much) and if i get one of your dual-hot-end-Boards later (again:how much?) the MK1 is on level with the MK2. I don´t care about EMI and for the beginning i´m not going to print ABS.

So still an open race...
October 05, 2014 04:22PM
For prices of my hot end boards and ordering instructions, see [forums.reprap.org].

I am not aware of the Ormerod 2 X arm being better than the on Ormerod 1, except that they are now using extruded acrylic instead of cast acrylic, which means that it should be close to 5mm thick instead of 4.6mm like mine was. An aluminium arm on an Ormerod 1 would therefore be better than an Ormerod 2 standard arm, especially if you expect to eventually hang more than one extruder on it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 05, 2014 05:01PM
Ok, here is a new calculation:

Ormerod MK1 -- 500€

dual-nozzle-Board and alu-bed-support from dc42 -- about 110 €

I´m still cheaper than the MK2 but will have an even better IR-Sensor (but a less powerfull PSU).

Haven´t found a price for your alu-X-Arm. Is there one left in yor shelf and if so, how much is it?(all together with the bed-support, the dual-nozzle-board, VAT and shipping to germany?)
October 05, 2014 05:04PM
Haha, found out that i have to ask another person für the alu-X-arm and bed-support ;-)
October 05, 2014 05:19PM
new calculation:

Ormerod MK1 - 500€
Alu-parts (x-arm and bed-support) - 83€
Dual-nozzle-board - 89€

----------------------------------------------------------
672€

now i´m 37 bucks over an MK2 but i would have an more stabel printer and a better sensor. Plus the posibility to upgrade to 2 nozzles......when i have masterd one nozzle.....
But i wount have a CE-certification and i have to upgrade the PSU when i upgrade to 2 nozzles.

What´s your opinion?
October 05, 2014 05:24PM
The stock PSU should be fine with two nozzles, the nozzle doesn't use that much power (the bed heater is the power-hungry one). If you are printing ABS with two nozzles it might be a stretch, but with some modifications of the Alpine PSU it does well enough.
October 06, 2014 07:26AM
You can buy a suitable PSU for a reasonable price. e.g. [www.ebay.com]

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login