Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

nothing coming out the nozzle

Posted by 88Zombies 
nothing coming out the nozzle
October 11, 2014 07:21AM
My ormerod 1 keeps jamming, (really getting annoying now. after about 20 attempts at a 9 hour print)

at first im fairly sure it was dodgy filament thickness... but now
i've tried a spring loaded extruder and another normal extruder..

i find when it does stop, if i give the filament a little push into the extruder it gets it going again (then it will stop again eventually)

i thought it might be a nozzle blockage but when i give the filament a little push it extrudes just fine.

This is by far the most annoying problem i've had with my ormerod in the past year.....
Re: nothing coming out the nozzle
October 11, 2014 07:44AM
Have you cleaned the hobbed insert yet? If it slips, probably nothing will come out of the nozzle.
October 11, 2014 10:35AM
If you are using the spring-loaded extruder, do you have the spring in the correct place, and how tight have you done it up?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 11, 2014 11:43AM
This sounds similar to my recent issues. I found that I had mistakenly put the spring between the motor and feeder pieces and not under the screw head. I also found using a 2mm drill I was able to clear a semi blocked vertical hole from the Bowden tube and into the top of the curved feeder path. I used a power drill but a hand drill is probably better. The filament was tight until I drilled it and then it slipped very smoothly. That cleared my issues with the spring loaded extruder. Hope that helps you.

I also just had a blocked nozzle and cleared it with the inner metal core from a plastic tie wrap. I measured it under 0.4mm so I thought it would fit the 0.5mm nozzle well. Once heated it cleared whatever had been the most recent blockage. Next issue is around the corner, but I love the challenge!!! (please don't let me hex myself!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 11:45AM by Amsterdamman.

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
October 11, 2014 01:45PM
Amsterdamman
...I also just had a blocked nozzle and cleared it with the inner metal core from a plastic tie wrap. I measured it under 0.4mm so I thought it would fit the 0.5mm nozzle well...

..or pull a single wire from a steel wire brush, they usually measure 0.35-0.40mm

Erik
October 11, 2014 02:38PM
did you heat the wire to clear the nozzle??

perhaps i didn't have the correct tension on the spring loaded extruder, gone back to using a normal extruder and is working a little better.
October 11, 2014 02:59PM
I heated the nozzle a bit before pushing in the the wire and then let the nozzle cool down a bit before pulling the filament with the embedded impurity out - it worked for me at least

Erik
October 11, 2014 03:56PM
My blockage was due to me trying to make sure the nozzle was extra clean so I could do a cold nozzle Z home test. I probably rubbed some paper towel into it as it cooled. I turned the heat to full 202c and pushed the wire in about 2-4mm and pulled it back out. With motors off I turned the extruder by hand and it squirted out once again. I did not heat the wire as the 202c nozzle seemed plenty hot to me! I knew it was a blockage right at the tip this time as well.

Check that the filament slides freely through the feeder tube without any bearing etc installed. If not use a 2mm drill to clear that pathway from the Bowden tube side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 03:56PM by Amsterdamman.

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login