Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

M3x25mm 'hex head' screw + Aluminium Bed

Posted by parper101 
M3x25mm 'hex head' screw + Aluminium Bed
October 17, 2014 01:31PM
Hi All,

I'm having trouble sourcing the above screw as i managed to wreck mine through a combination of inexperience and sheer force. Does anyone have a source you can send me a link to?
Multiple bolt/connection shops just shook their heads at me, and i can't seem to locate anything online.

Also, i'm considering replacing the MDF with an aluminium bed. Should i just recut the same DXF that cuts the MDF or is there a bed upgrade the forum recommends?
(i have a mate who is offering to laser cut me some bits for free-sies in a one-off favour - getting the x-arm and x-rib too!)

Thanks!

Green Machine - slowly becoming multicoulored!
Re: M3x25mm 'hex head' screw + Aluminium Bed
October 17, 2014 03:26PM
M3 hex head screws: [www.ebay.co.uk]

Recommended MDF bed support upgrade: [www.ebay.co.uk]

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 17, 2014 08:14PM
Apparently they don't ship the bolts to Canada. Anyone have any NA links?

October 17, 2014 08:17PM
As far as i can tell, the upgraded aluminium bed is the same as the original, with two truncated corners.
Can anyone advise on the difference between the original DXF and the upgraded bed linked above?
I'm not trying to be controversial here, but i've got an offer i can't refuse and want to make the most of it.

Thanks again.

October 18, 2014 12:14PM
There are tons of bolts on ebay. Just search for "m3 hex bolt" or something like that. Here's one of them.
October 18, 2014 06:05PM
Hi there Paper101..

Don't feel to lonely...

Got the same problem here in South Africa..

Can only get up to M3 x20mm Hex head.. :-(

Eventually had luck with a RC Model hobby shop.. you know the guys that play with the little cars and planes.. ;-) They had there.. Don't even try the hardware guys They don't even understand what your asking them.. ;-)

Cheers & Good Luck!
Gordon.
October 19, 2014 09:02PM
jstck
There are tons of bolts on ebay. Just search for "m3 hex bolt" or something like that. Here's one of them.

Thanks for the help Jstck, but that's not the bolt i'm looking for. I can find lots of those, but the one i need is the one that holds the large extruder gear to the extruder body. It has a hexagonal shaped head, and no socket driver hole.
The only one i've seen is the one DC42 sent above, but they don't ship to Canada.

(sigh)

I'll try the local hobby shop like Gordon suggested!
If anyone else has any suggestions for online bolt suppliers i'd like to hear it!

Thanks!

October 19, 2014 10:14PM
Here's one in Australia that claims to ship worldwide: [stores.ebay.com]

Or you could email sally at reprappro dot com and ask her for a price.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 19, 2014 11:37PM
dc42
Here's one in Australia that claims to ship worldwide: [stores.ebay.com]

Or you could email sally at reprappro dot com and ask her for a price.

Thanks DC! I knew i could count on you!
Ironically i've recently moved from Australia!

Thanks again!

October 20, 2014 12:11AM
Regarding the alu bed support, I made one by hand and used that for a while, see [forums.reprap.org]. And it was indeed a copy of the MDF one with the corners cut off to reduce weight.

October 20, 2014 05:23AM
We can supply the hex bolts, and any other individual part of the kit worldwide, of course; email Sally on info@reprappro.com if the part you need is not listed on our webshop. Though it may be expensive for one bolt, due to the shipping, so it's best to try and find it locally.
See the 'alternate' bed construction instructions, which greatly improve the bed stability with the existing parts (and a few extra screws and nuts): [reprappro.com] and (2nd and 3rd step) [reprappro.com]
Or consider upgrading to the Ormerod 2 y-carriage, any of which could be laser cut from metal rather than ply/acrylic: [forums.reprap.org]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login