Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

White paint marker instead of paper

Posted by Mike43110 
White paint marker instead of paper
October 23, 2014 12:52PM
My ormerod is still being shipped to me so I can't test this.

I saw in the build instructions that white pieces of paper/stickers should be placed on the glass to assist the z homing.

Would a white paint marker not suffice?
That would cause minimal disturbance and be easily removed.

I will try this if nobody else has and report back. Hoping for a positive response!
Re: White paint marker instead of paper
October 23, 2014 03:01PM
I think white paint should work ok, however when you replace the Kapton tape, it will probably come off. So you would have to replace it anyway, and I see no advantage over white paper.

The hot end board with differential IR sensor that I sell doesn't need white targets, it works on Kapton or even on plain glass.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 23, 2014 03:25PM
I was looking into that!

However, I live in South Africa making shipping a significant cost.
Also currently our post office is bankrupt, making courier services almost a necessity if you want the parcel to actually arrive!

Does your board work on the Ormerod 2 using the same assembly instructions?

And for future reference, would shipping still be included shipping to SA?
I ask as it is quite expensive to ship anything here and can't expect you to make a loss.

Thanks for the reply! I will try the marker initially and see how it goes and hopefully move to your more robust solution in the future
October 23, 2014 03:46PM
I have shipped several boards to South Africa and I have had no complaints that they didn't arrive, although some took a while. The service I use is International Tracked or International Signed For through the normal postal service, I forget which one is available in SA. I wasn't aware that the SA postal service is bankrupt! The price I quote for Rest of World in the thread on availability of the boards includes delivery by that method, which costs me about GBP9. I'll willingly ship by courier instead at cost + associated PayPal commission if you prefer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 23, 2014 06:26PM
Mike43110
My ormerod is still being shipped to me so I can't test this.

I saw in the build instructions that white pieces of paper/stickers should be placed on the glass to assist the z homing.

Would a white paint marker not suffice?
That would cause minimal disturbance and be easily removed.

I will try this if nobody else has and report back. Hoping for a positive response!

You are certainly thinking ahead. I've had one week's experience of the ormerod 2. I followed the instructions and put stickers in each corner, with Kapton over the whole bed. After a first couple of prints, the tape was damaged extracting the good prints and scraping off the bad. I replaced the tape and stickers but I didn't tape over the stickers, as I haven't had any need to print in the corners of the bed yet.

I can't see why a white paint marker would not work, but is it any easier than a bit of sticky label?

The Z sensor design is flawed. Every morning this week I have done the 'lower the nozzle to the bed, zero the Z, and raise until the sensor until it reads 500-600' routine. It always works but every morning, (or afternoon if I have had to turn power of and re-home it) the numbers change.
It is annoying and I think I will soon be ordering one of DC's Z sensor boards, but I would advise you to assemble it as standard before starting to tinker.

I waited until I had the kit 7 days until I loaded DC42's custom firmware, so I know how long it used to take to do the 4 point corner calibration, compared to how quick it does it now. I really do think it is important though, to live with it a while so you know what needs updated and why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 06:28PM by MikeyD.
October 23, 2014 07:36PM
I actually panted the under side of my glass, white. it works well and even keeps the glass from sliding around. But i should have used hi temperature pant instead of the garden verity type. it tends to stick to my aluminum, heat spreader smiling smiley
October 24, 2014 04:10PM
Hi Mike43110, dc's sensor board is a really great improvement over the standard one especially with the additional features, I'm also from South Africa and ordered one before the post office strike, my board got damaged on the way probably here in SA. If you do decide to get one, definitely get it sent via courier. You won't be disappointed! On a side note, I'm still waiting for an international parcel I ordered over a month ago which I have no idea if it will ever come now.
October 24, 2014 04:19PM
I use extra bubble wrap around the board since I heard of the damage to moameen's board. I haven't seen a photo of the damage, so I can't be sure that the extra bubble wrap would have been sufficient to prevent it.

October 26, 2014 05:31PM
I have been avoiding this forum thanks to anticipation >_<

1stly thanks to all who replied once again! The advice from all is very helpful.

I see a lot of dc42! Thanks for being accommodating, I never know with "Rest of World" if that includes SA as that has ended up biting me in the ass a few times.

I am going to pray for your packages moameen... I have a few things I want to order but there is no way I am going to take that chance at the moment!

I will definitely 1st use it standard and see the differences between each change.
As I am currently running tests, the urge to setup a timer, run it 30 times for each possible configuration and analyse the times will be quite high grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login