Hi everyone,

Surprisingly my filament doesn't extrude, i made a video here to show you

My wiring is triple checked.

Does anyone has an idea ?

Thanks per advance for your help !
Re: Filament doesn't extrudeyawning smiley
November 05, 2014 03:40AM
There are several reasons that could occur.. Off the top of my head:
The temperature sensor isn't reading the temperature and therefore will stop 'cold extrusion' (I believe that the Ormerod firmware does this?)
The incorrect tool is selected for the extruder in the config or print g-code (T0 command instead of T1) or whatever.
The hot end isn't heating enough or at all to melt the filament
The hot end has a blockage (ptfe pipe shavings etc)
The PTFE pipe inside the hot end does not correctly fit the brass hot end
The head is pressed against the bed to the point that the plastic can't come out
The Bowden tube has been a little over crimped by the brass nut in the hot end causing it to be narrower than it should be
The filament is not the correct tolerances and has jammed somewhere along the feed system
The extruder's hobbed insert is all clogged up with plastic from a previous jam and can't grip the filament
The motor driving the extruder is not provided sufficient voltage
The gears on the extruder are not properly meshing and can't move smoothly against each other and therefore jam
The extruder is MasonStonehenge's spring-loaded extruder and the spring tension isn't sufficient to grab the filament.
The extruder is MasonStonehenge's spring-loaded extruder and the 10mm and 9mm bearings were swapped around incorrectly, causing the filament to not press against the hobbed insert.

As you can see, there are a few things that can cause a "filament doesn't extrude" problem - Without a little more information about what you've tried and the exact symptoms it's difficult to narrow the list down much.

Give some feedback regarding tests you've preformed, like using Pronterface or the Webinterface (newer firmware) to manually set the temperature - what does the thermistor read? Does the hot end get hot? Try the 'extrude 1mm' tool - does it extrude then?
Does it extrude with a little help? Can you hear a ticking sound? Do the gears turn?
November 05, 2014 05:13AM
From your video, we can see that the extruder drive is turning. But you say there is no extrusion. So some possible causes are:

1. Drive not gripping the filament well enough. Disconnect the Bowden tube from the extruder drive so the filament pokes out of the top. Then try extruding. Does it push the filament, with a reasonable amount of force? If yes:

2. If you push filament by hand down the Bowden tube, can you get extrusion? If no:

3a. Nozzle not at a high enough temperature. Have you heated it to about 200C? Does the hot end temperature read approximately correctly at room temperature? When the nozzle is at 200C, can you melt filament on the outside of it?

3b. Nozzle touching the bed.

3c. Nozzle blockage. This can be caused by fragments of PTFE left over from when you used a drill to open out the ends of the Bowden tube after screwing them into the brass ends.

3d. Plastic solidified in the area at the top of the nozzle. Could happen if the fan wasn't working at some point, allowing the top of the nozzle to get hot and melt the filament, which subsequently cooled. Or maybe you missed out the PTFE liner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 05:15AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 05, 2014 05:33AM
I can't see the video! I just get a "This video has been removed by the user." I think the others have provided lots of information regarding troubleshooting, along with the troubleshooting guide here: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
November 05, 2014 04:17PM
Thanks a lot for your suggestion guys,

Indeed my drive was not gripping the filament enough it's working now winking smiley
November 07, 2014 11:25AM
droftarts
I can't see the video! I just get a "This video has been removed by the user." I think the others have provided lots of information regarding troubleshooting, along with the troubleshooting guide here: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Also couldn't see the video.. strange
November 07, 2014 12:32PM
VortyZA
Also couldn't see the video.. strange

Removed

Erik
November 08, 2014 05:52AM
Yes I removed because my problem was solved

Michmich229
Thanks a lot for your suggestion guys,

Indeed my drive was not gripping the filament enough it's working now winking smiley

Thanks for your help anyway !!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login