Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiring in an extra fan

Posted by Aagaard 
Wiring in an extra fan
December 08, 2014 07:59AM
Hi,

I've would like to add and ekstra fan to my ormerod 1. But I can't seem to find any wiring diagram. I use DC's firmaware 0.78x-dc42.
Re: Wiring in an extra fan
December 08, 2014 08:41AM
On the right hand bottom corner of the Duet is a terminal block or pair of pins labelled FAN0. You can connect a 12V fan to those pins and control it using the M106 command.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 08, 2014 11:31AM
Thanks for the speedy reply. I have dismantled and old pc - and have some spare fans. With 4 wires? Do i have to short the to wires, not red and black, to make it work?
December 08, 2014 11:52AM
With a 4-wire fan, you have a couple of options:

1. Use only the red and black wires, leave the other 2 wires disconnected.

2. Connect the fan with some external components as described here [forums.reprap.org], then you can also get a readout of the fan rpm if you are using my or zpl's firmware. But depending on the fan, you may not be able to turn it off completely.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 09, 2014 04:28AM
Hi Aagaard

Have you seen my venting mod? It only uses a single vent, and i plan to improve
on that further:
venting mod

I have an Ormerod 2 but i think it shouldn't be to hard to mount that on your Ormerod 1 too?

I think it has some weight advantages than using two fans. Especially if you use an 1cm thick
fan.

Regards
Tim
December 13, 2014 06:02AM
I've successfully mounted an ekstra fan (thanks dc)!. I've tried printing with it, and actually discovered that running the fan with the slic3r standard settings wold cause the layers of the print to not melt together. Producing gaps in the print.

For those using an ekstra fan (mounted mine with: [www.thingiverse.com]), which slic3r setting do you use?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login