Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

laser cutting with ormeod??

Posted by 88Zombies 
laser cutting with ormeod??
December 09, 2014 06:26AM
I've seen a couple of printers recently with a laser cutting mod.

or some one with a interchangeable laser cutter tool; [zmorph3d.com]

is there anything like this available for the ormerod?

no idea about this, just thought I'd ask as i have a few things that might require cutting soon.
Re: laser cutting with ormeod??
December 09, 2014 07:21AM
That's an interesting site - I see they have other types of head as well. Has anyone tried their slicing software (http://voxelizer.com/welcome/)? I may give it a try.

Dave
December 09, 2014 08:12AM
yea, chocolate printer too tongue sticking out smiley

Great concept but I couldn't see much info on the specs at a glance and its only cutting paper on the images.

seen other similar mods popping up
[jtechphotonics.com]
December 09, 2014 09:40AM
88Zombies
yea, chocolate printer too tongue sticking out smiley

Great concept but I couldn't see much info on the specs at a glance and its only cutting paper on the images.

seen other similar mods popping up
[jtechphotonics.com]

It's only a 2W laser, so I suspect that cardboard & fabric is probably about it's limit. The bed area of most 3D printers would limit its usefulness even if it could cut more.

Dave
December 10, 2014 05:31PM
I bought an L-cheapo as test. it's a 2W 445nm blue laser, enough to cut matt plastics, cardboard and papers by scribing many times on it using Slicer with 0.1 layers. I took some tests on paper, with a weirdy attachment, I realized how bad was fumes production and what kind of risks I was facing so I stopped tests.
Since my work is in the high power laser cutting machine tool field and I know very well what the mess could be a safety problem with lasers, I suggest vividly to avoid this kind of perks. They are dangerous.
December 10, 2014 06:16PM
This thread brings back memories! I remember the day during my PhD research project in laser spectroscopy that I had produced a novel design of CO2 laser for a final year undergraduate to build, and I bet my co-workers a cup of coffee that it would burn a hole through a coke can (which the existing lab designs couldn't do). After a couple of minutes trying, I conceded defeat and we all went to coffee at my expense. But when we returned, the laser has done it's job and there was a hole in the can!

Seriously though, 2W is an awful lot of visible laser power and very dangerous to one's eyesight. Much safer to use infrared lasers whose wavelengths are long enough not to be focussed by the eye.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 10, 2014 06:53PM
dc42
This thread brings back memories! I remember the day during my PhD research project in laser spectroscopy that I had produced a novel design of CO2 laser for a final year undergraduate to build, and I bet my co-workers a cup of coffee that it would burn a hole through a coke can (which the existing lab designs couldn't do). After a couple of minutes trying, I conceded defeat and we all went to coffee at my expense. But when we returned, the laser has done it's job and there was a hole in the can!

Seriously though, 2W is an awful lot of visible laser power and very dangerous to one's eyesight. Much safer to use infrared lasers whose wavelengths are long enough not to be focussed by the eye.

smileys with beer First time I introduced the laser in my company, in order to really be sure everyone was aware about power of infrared invisble light (it was a 1kW CO2 laser, too) I burn out a hole in a brick 40 meters away from the laser source..... Sure. Industrial laser metal processing is switching to 1um fiber or diode laser from 10.6um of CO2, risks rose by a factor of 10. Where once a defocussed CO2 laser beam could have made one man blind in a blink of eye within a couple of meters, now a fiber laser beam could do the same at 55 meters of distance....
With a 2W 445nm laser diode you need glasses and shields with optical density 3.3, the same you need for a 20W CO2 laser.

Green Ormerod Fan

Improvements and tunings:
- aluminum bed with spring suspended bed and iamburny's Y belt tensioner
- masonstonehenge's spring loaded extruder with dc42's herringbone gears based on iamburny's design
- philiptemobster's extruder holder
- Abs made fan holder, X carriage and extruder
- 0.78 firmware
- dc42's IR sensor + led PCB
Tested and want to improve:
- laser cutting L-Cheapo attachement
WTD:
- double extruder (to use different support material)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login