Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First print - how to get the thing off the bed

Posted by dannystaple 
First print - how to get the thing off the bed
December 10, 2014 07:28PM
So I've made my first relatively successful print (with a few hiccups) of the calibration thing.
Now I am having a lot of trouble detaching it from the bed.

I had a few hitches getting the print - one early problem was bed adhesion - but cleaning it, and making sure the temp was correct had that all fine. Another hitch was the computer I was using going into a sleep mode 2 hours in - and leaving one slice looking a bit poor - on the upward sticking part. However, things seem to be aligned ok - if only I could get the part off to check. What are the tips from experienced users?

I am using the PLA filament that came with the printer. I had a bed temp of 60, and nozzle of 200.

Reprappro Ormerod2 (528.2, Duet 0.6, firmware 1.18.1 (2017-04-09), web interface Christian Hammacher 1.15a, Cura) & CNC 3020 (GRBL)
Re: First print - how to get the thing off the bed
December 10, 2014 09:35PM
I find that often the print more or less pops off when the print has had time to cool down.

The best solution I've tried for getting PLA to stick is wiping the glass with vinegar, and the plastic sticks when heated - and pops right off when cooled. I print with nozzle 190/170 degrees and 70/60 degrees.

Edit: I actually remember also having the, sticking to well, problem when cleaning the kapton tabe thoroughly with acetone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 09:38PM by Aagaard.
December 11, 2014 02:34AM
Let the print and bed cool before trying to separate them, and if necessary put them in the freezer for a little while. I have some extra glass bed plates so that I can start a new print before the previous one has cooled.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 11, 2014 08:58AM
I found that with something like the orthagonal compensation piece, that has a relatively small surface area in contact with the bed, a good whack from the side gets it off (use something that wont damage the piece obviously - and slide whatever you're using along the bed and into the side of the print.

For those less violent than me :-) and for prints with a lot of surface in contact with the bed or not much vertical height (like the snowman) - I use some kind of wedge (a plastic spatula from the kitchen had a thin enough edge) and slide it under part of the print. I got it under the snowmans cane (small area in conctac with bed) and then just applied enough upwards pressure to peel the rest of the print off without snapping off the arm.

Keypoints - bed temp below 35 degrees and preferably back to room temp - and patience.

I was really surprised by how hard this could be!

James

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 08:59AM by jamesf.
December 12, 2014 08:23AM
I did print the snowman - and took the bed off, let it cool, then used a spatula. I may have to clean the kaptop tape up a bit before the next print.
December 12, 2014 10:26AM
Hi, oooooo please don't whack it, or pull it off....
I print on glass, and have done for months now. (The finish is like a mirror...Well almost)...
After printing, I place glass and print in a bowl of cool water.... You can hear the print releasing.....
Then it floats free.
I tried pulling a print off the glass one time, and ruined a perfectly good print in the process, by pulling the back out of it.
Sometimes I place the glass and print under a cold water tap, instead of a bowl of water.
Both ways are quick, but the cold tap is a little quicker.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
December 16, 2014 09:44AM
KimBrown
Hi, oooooo please don't whack it, or pull it off....
I print on glass, and have done for months now. (The finish is like a mirror...Well almost)...
After printing, I place glass and print in a bowl of cool water.... You can hear the print releasing.....
Then it floats free.
I tried pulling a print off the glass one time, and ruined a perfectly good print in the process, by pulling the back out of it.
Sometimes I place the glass and print under a cold water tap, instead of a bowl of water.
Both ways are quick, but the cold tap is a little quicker.

I used to wack the prints on the side with a hammer to release them when in a rush. More than once i have taken slithers of glass off still stuck to the PLA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login