Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Survey: are you interested in the assembled Ormerod 2?

Posted by reprapprochina 
Survey: are you interested in the assembled Ormerod 2?
December 19, 2014 08:48AM
Hi, Everyone:

Here is RepRapPro -China. We currently sell the assembled Ormerod 2 in China. This assembled OM2 will be shipped out with nice package and fully test. I wonder how many people are interested in buying the assembled OM2 in this forum.

Your comment are highly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Merry Christmas !

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
Re: Survey: are you interested in the assembled Ormerod 2?
December 19, 2014 09:01AM
I suppose it depends greatly on the extra cost and the support provided for it.
Also I would kind of assume most people here already have an O or O2.
December 19, 2014 09:09AM
Thanks Pyro, the extra cost in China is estimated between £ 50 to 75 for assembling fee and test, plus the shipment fee . The technical support is the same as normal kit.

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
December 19, 2014 10:23AM
Before seeing your photos my initial reaction was : no way you can ship this printer without either breakage or major recalibration needed. But I see the packaging does look very good.

It may be too good - is it possible to get the printer out of that packaging without major shift of an axis or accidentally breaking something? smiling smiley

I have also seen how airline personnel handle packages - I would drop-test those packages and see if they survive if I were you. Perhaps ship it with the X-axis separate - that's not hard to mount and would be much safer I think.

The extra cost is not excessive for an assembled printer IMHO and I could see myself paying an extra 75 for it if I were considering another printer.

What I would be more interested in perhaps is an ABS ready ormerod kit. The thought of taking mine apart to replace some parts with ABS is not very appealing at the moment.

Good luck

James

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2014 10:24AM by jamesf.
December 19, 2014 10:47AM
I like this idea.... I think it would be a good plan, and the packaging looks very well done.

My only concern would be, that by building our printers our selves, we learn what each part does, and where on the machine it is.
I think the idea of shipping the printer ready made is a very good one... But, I can see the technical help line being called allot more.
If you are prepared for the silly phone calls, like 'where do I feed the filament in?' then it's a very good plan.

Talking of which.... it might be a good Idea to have a short length of filament already fed in to the machine with a suitable sticky label on it....

We build... We Learn... and when starting out it is very difficult to understand the initial running of the machine when you haven't done it
before... A video clip would help showing how to get started...

Another valid point (I think) might be to include a CD/DVD with all the programs that are needed on it, that the new owner could later update
them selves.

Could I also suggest that both the Kit and the pre-assembled printer should come with a pair of long nose tweezers as standard (to grab the dribble
from the nozzle that can happen)..

Regards,
Kim

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
December 19, 2014 11:50AM
thanks James and Kim .

The package is redesigned to ensure no any damaging in future. We shipped one in China, it is absolutely fine. One sample has been shipped to UK via air , the case of power supply has one dent. I hope new designed package will avoid any damaging.

We haven't OM2 with ABS printed parts. however kits shipped after 28th October 2014 have a laser cut fan spacer, rather than the heatsink-duct and fan-duct, it will be suitable for printing ABS or other thermoplastic filaments without replacement of any parts ( I assume).

As Kim mentioned, assembling OM2 is actually to learn one process. We did preliminary researching on Chinese market, kits is not ideal product because few customers want to spend time to learn this process sad smiley. Therefore we have to introduce the assembled OM2 there .

We have prepared one video to demonstrate the assembling procedure from scratch, we will upload it into our website or put one in the package box.

A pair of long nose tweezers is good idea., we can consider it in China smileys with beer

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
December 20, 2014 06:30AM
Hi RepRapPro China,

assembled it's a good starting point ...an opportunity for many users!

Best wishes
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
December 21, 2014 05:23AM
I prefer DIY. for the same technical support.

smoking smiley
December 21, 2014 06:36AM
i think it would be good for those that want an out of the box printer, however i personally feel that you get a better understanding of how it works if you build it yourself so would not buy a pre,assembled version, besides half the fun is in the building
December 23, 2014 06:57PM
Many thanks Dario, qianweikang and razzadazzas for your comments ! Yes, the assembled one may be one good option for the beginner. We certainly encourage more customers learn the 3D printing knowledge through assembling OM2 kit. This is the reason why RepRap was named after.

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
January 08, 2015 05:21AM
Hi,reprapprochina:

I think that it depends on personal interests ,some people like DIY ,acctually they enjoy assembling printers .Once they finish assembling and start to use printers to print anything ,it will be a great satisfaction for them. Plus during the assembling process ,they will learn a lot of things regarding to 3D printers . For me,I do like first assembling printers by myself .I just don't understand that why people don't like to assemble printers by themselves. Are they just lazy of spending time to read install documentation ? They prefer to buy preassembled printers .Probably they don't have any exploring spirt.On my oponion ,for people without any background of 3D printers ,they can just first buy preassemble printers ,for peole who want to have thourough understanding of 3D printers ,I more like to buy onassembled printers .smileys with beerhot smiley
January 08, 2015 05:21AM
Hi,
I am in china and I am so glad to have the chance to buy RRP printers in china market . For me ,because I do not know much of 3D printers. I prefer to by fully assembled printers first as long as the printers are nicely packaged before they are shipping out.What do you guys think?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 08, 2015 09:39AM
xiandhq
Hi,reprapprochina:

I think that it depends on personal interests ,some people like DIY ,acctually they enjoy assembling printers .Once they finish assembling and start to use printers to print anything ,it will be a great satisfaction for them. Plus during the assembling process ,they will learn a lot of things regarding to 3D printers . For me,I do like first assembling printers by myself .I just don't understand that why people don't like to assemble printers by themselves. Are they just lazy of spending time to read install documentation ? They prefer to buy preassembled printers .Probably they don't have any exploring spirt.On my oponion ,for people without any background of 3D printers ,they can just first buy preassemble printers ,for peole who want to have thourough understanding of 3D printers ,I more like to buy onassembled printers .smileys with beerhot smiley

Depends whether you want a 3D printer as a tool (i.e. as a means to an end) or as a project in its own right. Same as a PC. Yes, I can and have assembled a computer, but if my immediate requirement is to (say) do some digital photo editing, I'd rather buy one that I can just switch on and use. A drillpress could also be made as a DIY project, but how many people do so?

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login